News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Quality Switches

Started by claytushaywood, January 21, 2015, 08:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I just had a toggle from BLMS fail really quickly.  I dont remember where I got these much nicer switches... so where do you all get high quality switches for cheap (toggles and footswitches though Ive never had too many problems with footswitches)

flanagan0718

I used to use Tayda until I had a few fail. Now I only get them through BLMS. I would Email Lawrence and let him know you got a bad one. He's a stand up dude and will probably set things right.

pickdropper

The Tayda ones and the BLMS ones seem very similar to me.  I wasn't terribly impressed with either, but they are inexpensive.

Small Bear has better quality switches as does Mouser.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

selfdestroyer

BLMS here also, I have had one fail and Lawrence made it right. He is a cool guy to work with. Like others have said, just email him.

Cody

midwayfair

Depends on how you define "cheap." Smallbear's toggles are noticeably better (more robust and also just better feel) than the ones I've gotten from BLMS,*, which I didn't find to be different from the ones I had gotten from Tayda in the past, but they're certainly more expensive. Genuine Mountain switches are also noticeably better, but they cost a fortune.

*Apparently I'm not a bitch. Proof at last.

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on January 21, 2015, 08:48:21 PM
Depends on how you define "cheap." Smallbear's toggles are noticeably better (more robust and also just better feel) than the ones I've gotten from BLMS,*, which I didn't find to be different from the ones I had gotten from Tayda in the past, but they're certainly more expensive. Genuine Mountain switches are also noticeably better, but they cost a fortune.

*Apparently I'm not a bitch. Proof at last.

I found that the pricing for some of the Mountain switches can be reasonable, especially if purchased in a decent quantity.

For example, the standard SPDT switch (PN: 108-1MS1T2B3M2QE-EVX ) is $1.90 for one but goes down to $1.24 in quantities of 100.  At 1000 pieces, it's all the way down to a dollar.

I'm not offering to run a group buy, but this might be the sort of thing that makes sense as everybody here uses them and getting a high quality switch for $1 each would be cool.

For
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

playpunk

someone who is not me should do this group buy. I am in for 50.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Leevibe

I buy toggles from Small Bear and PPP. The price isn't cheap but the quality is good. I think I have bought from Mammoth once and the quality seemed the same as the others. I tried BLMS. They are cheap but the look and feel is just not quite there imo. I've used a few in a build I did for myself but I wouldn't for something I'm selling.

For stomp switches, my current favorite is the Alpha 3PDTs. They seem to be of very good quality, they come with a thin metal washer, and you can get them at PPP for $3.50. That's a steal.

mremic01

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/toggles-1/

Are those the switches you guys are talking about? The red ones? I get those from Tayda and BLMS and they're all about the same quality.

electrosonic

Electronics Goldmine has some good quality C&K switches for a decent price - the mounting arrangement might not work for you though.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/products.asp?dept=1184

I have got some switches from them in the past (as well as some cool jfets)

Andrew.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: electrosonic on January 22, 2015, 12:24:16 AM
Electronics Goldmine has some good quality C&K switches for a decent price - the mounting arrangement might not work for you though.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/products.asp?dept=1184

I have got some switches from them in the past (as well as some cool jfets)

Andrew.

Love Goldmine! They have lots of less common stuff, the blowout section always have interesting stuff.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

midwayfair

Quote from: mremic01 on January 22, 2015, 12:16:12 AM

Are those the switches you guys are talking about? The red ones? I get those from Tayda and BLMS and they're all about the same quality.

Just because something has the same appearance doesn't mean it's the same manufacture. They aren't identical. Smallbear's have stiffer action when switched, and the casing is heavier duty. The nuts are slightly different sizes compared to the Tayda/BLMS ones. The epoxy requires less heat to melt. The contact seesaw inside is a slightly different size.

Leevibe

Quote from: midwayfair on January 22, 2015, 01:32:28 AM
Quote from: mremic01 on January 22, 2015, 12:16:12 AM

Just because something has the same appearance doesn't mean it's the same manufacture.

This.

If you directly compare the look and feel of a switch from SB/PPP against one from BLMS, you will see and feel that there is a difference. To some the difference is subtle, but it's a big deal to a picky guy like me. I really noticed it with the on-off-on switches. The middle position of the BLMS switches I tried was really vague and easy to overshoot. I'm not surprised that the internal structure is different too. Also, if there are differences in the aesthetics, you can bet that the metals and contact platings are also different.

I'm not trying to be preachy against BLMS. Lawrence is well respected here. I think it's just a matter of getting what you pay for in this instance.

claytushaywood

Yeh after flippin so many switches over the years and being used to tayda and blms switches i hit a nicer dpdt and it just felt so good.  made me wanna just go home depot DBA style switches... but then again... i've seen a lot of failed amp switches

davent

NKK make nice switches, good selection of bats you get to choose from. I usually choose toggles by actuator height and good sized solder lugs, Digikey. Mouser would have many of the same i'm sure.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?