News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

charge pumps on modulation and delays

Started by sikmunky, January 21, 2015, 04:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sikmunky

Hey Brian at madbean,

Would it be "better", headroom and sound wise if I wired up the zero point mini, current lover, and dirtbaby with the road rage and a charge pump for increased voltage?  If so, how would you do it, so a dumb fireman like can understand it?

Thanx in advance,
Brandon

alanp

The Zero Point and Dirtbaby both use the PT2399 chip which runs on 5V no matter how much you shove in the board (there is an onboard 78L05 regulator for both), and the PT2399 is the deciding factor in sound quality for circuits like this.

Not to mention that the regulator might be quite unhappy dropping ten volts :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

sikmunky

Thanx a bunch. Now how about that current lover flanging type o' thing?

alanp

If you're using MN3007, go nuts with 15V (note, don't blame me if it gets deaded!), quite a few people have posted 15V Current Lover builds.

If you're using MN3207, or v3207d, it will die a horrible death under 15V.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

Datasheets.

Always check the datasheet, especially if you're deviating from a stock design.

Asking on a forum might be a shortcut for a specific pedal, but you also might easily get bad information, or the person may have done something to get theirs to work that you haven't considered, like using a different delay chip as in Alan's example, and just assuming that you're using the same chip as them. Just Google the components you're using and see what voltages they're rated for. Capacitors are very nice about this and tell you right on them (25V, 100V, etc.), but integrated circuits and transistors don't, so you have to check their datasheets.

As far as whether a circuit will work in general on higher voltage, the answer is "it depends on the circuit." In general, you can't tell anything about circuits in general. ;)

sikmunky

Thank you both for your responses. I guess what I'm asking now, is what is the best sounding bbd for the current lover from the choices on the build guide. I was just under the impression that delays and modulation pedals sounded better with charge pumps for more head room. I guess that's 2 questions, but thanks again in advance.

Brandon