News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Judge - now with racing stripe

Started by jubal81, January 20, 2015, 04:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

I've been blabbering about this circuit for a long while and finally got it boxed up proper. It's Juan & Cleggy's Super Judge on a super layout by Rullywowr.
Couple mods - changed the Volume pot to 100KA and changed C6 to a slightly lower value (don't remember which one now). Tried a few opamps and settled on the LM833.

I also used one of my new mini 3PDT breakout boards with the huminating/decoupling.

Really had a blast playing with this today. It sounds even better in the box - like how your car runs better when it's clean. Pure 70s garage rawk. Raunchy and fun.

When I saw the name of the circuit, I knew I had to do a muscle-carish theme. Classic GTOs are one of my favorites. I tried to do this Cody style (love your stuff, Cody) - reverse etch & paint - with limited success. I'm a disaster with rattle cans and sandpaper. Oh well. Instead of a cherry GTO it's one that's seen a few drive-in door dings. It's hard to see in the pic, but the knob labels do stand out pretty well.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

cooder

Classy! Really need to build this too...! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

TGP39

Quote from: cooder on January 20, 2015, 04:40:40 AM

+1. Super classy.  Are these new mini switch boards for sale Jubal?  I'd love to give them a go.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

selfdestroyer

Came out great Jason. Did you use a small sanding block (Apple iPad charger :) ) or did you use a full size sanding block? It just looks like the one edge got sanded a bit, thats why I ask. I had the same problem when I used a large sanding block. Since the paint needs to be on the thin side to not fill the etched areas, that also means that the endges are very thing. Your lettering and stripe came out perfect and I bet you next one will be even better.

I also have The Judge populated but not boxed yet. Its a great sounding OD/Dist for sure. Has a really cool classic stoner/psychedelic rock sound to it.

Cody

jubal81

Quote from: TGP39 on January 20, 2015, 05:08:03 AM

+1. Super classy.  Are these new mini switch boards for sale Jubal?  I'd love to give them a go.

Steve.

I've only got a few of those right now from the proto batch, but if you PM your address I'll PIF a pair to you. I need to figure out how to panelize them to make it cost effective (something I'm not too familiar with).

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 20, 2015, 05:11:16 AM
Came out great Jason. Did you use a small sanding block (Apple iPad charger :) ) or did you use a full size sanding block? It just looks like the one edge got sanded a bit, thats why I ask. I had the same problem when I used a large sanding block. Since the paint needs to be on the thin side to not fill the etched areas, that also means that the endges are very thing. Your lettering and stripe came out perfect and I bet you next one will be even better.

I also have The Judge populated but not boxed yet. Its a great sounding OD/Dist for sure. Has a really cool classic stoner/psychedelic rock sound to it.

Cody

I used a little PCB as my sanding 'block.' The edge got beat up because I got impatient and wasn't paying close attention. I watched the whole move "The Drop" while I was sanding. It takes forever and I just zoned out and got sloppy.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

selfdestroyer

I've seen "The Drop" and I blame it on Tom Hardy's acting. lol

rullywowr

Totally bad ass!  The 70's racing theme is great. I love your 3pdt board too.  I agree that it has a simple raw type of sound, very rawk.  The orange was a great choice.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

TGP39

Quote from: jubal81 on January 20, 2015, 05:22:04 AM
Quote from: TGP39 on January 20, 2015, 05:08:03 AM

I've only got a few of those right now from the proto batch, but if you PM your address I'll PIF a pair to you. I need to figure out how to panelize them to make it cost effective (something I'm not too familiar with).

PM'd .....Thank you Jason.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

juansolo

Awesomeness, soon the world will be awash with Judges!

8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

bcalla

The racing stripe is very cool, as an old guy I love the 70s theme.

chuckbuick

Leevibe

RALLY STRIPE!!

Wow! Very well done! My favorite part is the way you made the stripe wrap around.

G.G.

I love it!! The worn edges make it look totally Vintage. What do the mods on yours do, & going with the LM833?

jubal81

Quote from: G.G. on January 20, 2015, 03:42:17 PM
I love it!! The worn edges make it look totally Vintage. What do the mods on yours do, & going with the LM833?

I used the 100KA volume pot to tame the output a bit and make it more consistent with what I'm used to. As for the cap, when I first fired it up on the test rig, I thought it could use a bit more treble (of course since I'm a treble junkie), but yesterday I was running it with the tone knob pretty low, so I think I might have overreacted on that one.

As for the opamp, 4558 sounds really good, and I might do some more experimenting for A/B testing purposes. The OPA2134 definitely sounded too stiff/sterile. The LM833 splits the difference being warm, but a bit more refined.
- David Fair

G.G.

thanks for the info! My build is pretty loud but I noticed when the Output volume goes down it seems like it gets a little thin sounding, maybe a A100K would help with that.