News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hakko FX-888D: talk me out of it

Started by Leevibe, January 19, 2015, 08:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

I'm really happy with my Xytronic 379 45w station. I'm only on my second tip in about 5 years of continual use, including all of the time it's been left idling overnight. I have a bad tendency to leave it on. This is my first iron since abandoning the radio shack fire starter I used on my first TS-808 kit. Why do I want to replace it? I don't have a good reason, and someone needs to talk me down.

Maybe it's the blue and yellow. Some people hate it. I think it looks fantastic.

Actually, after reading tons of reviews and watching youtube vids, I'm pretty taken with the quality of this station, as well as the Hakko tips. I like the idea of presets, although I know where to turn the dial on my Xytronic for the different things I solder, so that may not be an actual feature. I also like that Hakko considers this thing completely user serviceable. The manual includes exploded views of the iron and base station with part numbers for everything. That's not something you see often these days. It would also be nice to have 2 irons so one can be portable. I hate extricating my station from my workbench setup.

I think the Hakko must be a good one or there wouldn't be counterfeits on allied express.

Also, I have this $100 amazon gift card that's been burning a hole in my pocket!

HELP ME!!

If you are using this setup, I'd love to hear your opinions about it. Or, you could tell me why I should just stick with the Xytronic that's still working like new. :)

RobA

One of the glowing reviews on Amazon of the non-digital FX-888 is mine, so I'm not going to be very good at talking you out of it. (The blue and yellow is more cute in person. It kinda reminds me of the quirky fun of the old VW Bugs.)

On the other hand, if you're current station is working well, there's no reason to rush it. Put the thing in your cart on Amazon and see if they do one of their weird seemingly random price drops and then buy it. I needed a new SSD about a week ago because my old one was getting a bit flakey and I had a Crucial 512GB sitting in the cart. I happened to check in the cart one night and they had the price knocked down to about half of normal. I bought it that night and the next day it was back up to the normal price. Their pricing algorithms can do some really weird things.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Haberdasher

i'm still using my xytronics 379 and like you, my tips are lasting forever.  i like the idea of buying that hakko and i've almost pulled the trigger a couple of times, but i always talked myself out of it by realizing i simply don't need it.  the xytronics is still working great and i really don't ever have any problems soldering anything at all.  so it would just be spending just to spend, and at the end of it all i probably won't buy one unless it breaks.

or if someone on this thread talks me into it. ;)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

miter53

I've got an FX-888 and it's great. I was using an iron before so I can't compare it to another station, but I don't think you can go wrong with it. I like the Fisher Price blue/yellow thing btw.
"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/

m-Kresol

I think this is the "grass is always greener on the other side" kind of thing. and of course we are all gear junkies, no matter if it's guitars, amps, effects or tools to make them.
Maybe if you think about it a little more, you'll find something else you'd like more and especially need more
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

dont-tase-me-bro

I have one.  Works great.  My only complaint is that sometimes the tip seizes in the sheath, and is impossible to remove from it.  So the sheath has to go when the tip does. 
I thought this would save me money.

Leevibe

Thanks for all the sound advice. Keefe and Felix, you're right. Better to stick with what ain't broke.

Unfortunately, I couldn't resist this time. I just ordered it. At least I had a gift card to cover it. I feel good about it.

I also threw a multi spanner into the cart for good measure. I've been wanting one of those for a while.

jubal81

Quote from: Leevibe on January 20, 2015, 01:48:50 AM
Thanks for all the sound advice. Keefe and Felix, you're right. Better to stick with what ain't broke.

Unfortunately, I couldn't resist this time. I just ordered it. At least I had a gift card to cover it. I feel good about it.

I also threw a multi spanner into the cart for good measure. I've been wanting one of those for a while.

I'm sure you won't regret it. Love my Hakko to death and I always chip in to give it love.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Justus

I've got one since last summer.  Best price I've seen on it was from Frye's actually... some deal they run 3 times a year or so that gets it down to about $70 I think.  Anyway, I really like it alot.  Of course, its the first real soldering station I've owned too (RadioShack fire hazards don't count, right?)

TGP39

Just bought one last week. It looks great with my other 'Bob The Builder' tools.  :o

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

blearyeyes

Plus if you think about it Lee, you can solder two things at once!

A double fisted soldering maniac!

Makes me want to buy something.......

Leevibe

Quote from: blearyeyes on January 20, 2015, 07:20:03 AM

I like it! Drag soldering an SOIC chip in one hand while soldering a sprague atom to turrets in the other

blearyeyes

Quote from: Leevibe on January 20, 2015, 07:25:41 AM

I like it! Drag soldering an SOIC chip in one hand while soldering a sprague atom to turrets in the other

That's what I'm talkin about!

lincolnic

Quote from: Leevibe on January 20, 2015, 07:25:41 AM

You do realize that you'd need two more hands to actually hold the solder for each of those irons, and that kind of surgery's just too expensive. Better stick with the iron you've got.

blearyeyes

No no no no... Some of us have more hands than others.. The more the better!