News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Seeking advice on box layout for Rangemaster

Started by FloorIt, January 19, 2015, 03:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloorIt

My board is mostly populated and now I am trying to figure out where everything will go in the enclosure.  I'll be using a 1590B box (hopefully).  It is not drilled yet.  The one shown is a spare.

Option A- I was hoping to use this switch pcb but it's starting to look like I don't have enough room.  I can't stack the main pcb on top of the pots (as shown below) because the electrolytics are too tall.  I suppose I could replace them with some low profile caps...

Option B- I could slide the board down but this puts the jacks high and the switch low.  I'd rather not have the switch so close to the end of the enclosure;

Option C- Similar to B but puts the jacks perhaps in a better place.  Still don't care for the switch at the end of the enclosure:

Option D- Puts the switch in a better place but moves the jacks to an odd location:

Any suggestions?  Any options I haven't thought of?

mandrewbot3k

A couple more options...
Top mount power

Top mount jacks. They shouldn't interfere with pots.

Turn the switch board 90deg.

Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

davent

Mount the pcb close to the top like in #1. In/out jacks on sides mid box, use open frame jacks they take up less room here. Switch towards bottom of the box and might be room below that for a battery.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Stomptown

As much as I prefer the 1590B, it does not seem worth it here unless you can replace the electros with low profile caps and go with the layout Davent suggested IMO.  If that is not an option, I would just go with a 125B.  From bottom to top you could have a battery (if desired), 3pdt w/PCB, Rangemaster PCB, potentiometer, and 1/4 inch jacks/power jack (top mounted).

FloorIt

Good ideas everyone.  I'm not ready to give up on the 1590B.  Here's another layout I came up with.  I have resigned to the fact that the foot switch needs to be at the bottom of the enclosure.  My only concern with this layout is that the wires to the switch will have to run across the main pcb.  Is this a bad idea?  I did it this way to provide room for the LED which will be just below the pots.

alanp

You sure those electrolytics won't let you stack the board on the pot? I mean, they must be gonzo caps.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

If you use open framed jacks you need little more then 1/4" or 7mm between the board and the stomp switch.

How are you planning on mounting the board?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

mandrewbot3k

You could flip the board and put the led next to the stomp too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)