News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Double Dragon (a tale of woe...)

Started by juansolo, January 18, 2015, 05:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Sods Law in full effect on this build. It was built before boxing so required some degree of estimation as to where the pots would be and then where to drill the hole in the box when it was decided it was indeed worth boxing.

The first thing I did was wire every single pot backwards, which was annoying, so I reversed all those. It all looked good when fitting after drilling, but I'd managed to break one of the switches off, which had of course, torn the pads from the board. So with all that intact underneath, I ninja'd in some repairs and got the switch back in. Next Cleggy screwed up the Envirotex mix. First time in about 3 years or more. So that had to be stripped off, the decal off, it all cleaned up, re-decaled and re-Envirotex'd. Smashing. Fit the board, drops straight in, then I look and see that the jack holes are along side the bottom of the PCB. That didn't even occur to me when drilling that I'd need to fit them low. So two grommets, two holes in the back, some shielded cable and we're finally rocking.

So a difficult birth for this one then and a strong case of TFFT now it's done. The board is Brejna's Dual Tight Dragon, itself a take on JOK3RX's Dragon Armour which is a clone of the Amptweaker Tight Metal. Or in this case a hybrid Tight Metal / Tight Rock combo with knobs on, and it's great! Thankfully...

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

juansolo

More annoying is that I only had one grommet, the other one (matching) I had to steal from my car, which now has a hole in it's rear bumper...

GrindCustoms

Quote from: juansolo on January 18, 2015, 05:48:29 PM
More annoying is that I only had one grommet, the other one (matching) I had to steal from my car, which now has a hole in it's rear bumper...

Laughed hard on that one!

Your tenacity will have paid off, that's looking damn good 8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jubal81

Damn, that is spectacular! One of the cleanest I've seen yet. Wowser.
I still don't get how you make those knobs look sexy, but they're just perfect.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Leevibe

Looking at this, it seems impossible that there were issues in the build. This looks stunningly perfect.

bcalla

Despite the horror story it came out great!  Now if you can sell it for ~ $3,000 you might break even on your time.   ;D

Cortexturizer

https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

juansolo

Quote from: bcalla on January 18, 2015, 07:02:28 PM
Despite the horror story it came out great!  Now if you can sell it for ~ $3,000 you might break even on your time.   ;D

LOL, there is a distinct possibility I might sell it as I'll be building a small one shortly to replace it. But I suspect, given it's not right, £60 might be more like it! ;)

J0K3RX

Nice!! That is feckin cool yo  8)  How does it work, any problems, bugs etc...? Does it sound good? I have been messin around with this design tryin to get a distinct super hot rodded, fire breathing Marshall "Cameron" type of voicing with it.. It certainly already has the gain... just have to fire up the blow torch and bend it into shape ;D

Nice work as always!

alanp

Well, you got there in the end :) and it still looks clean enough to eat your tea off.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

Friggin' awesome clean and spiffin looking as it gets! Really hard to believe the trouble you went through to come out like that! Must feel even more so like a deserved victory over Murphy's Sod laws....! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

juansolo

Quote from: Leevibe on January 18, 2015, 07:02:12 PM
Looking at this, it seems impossible that there were issues in the build. This looks stunningly perfect.

I'm just good at hiding them ;) Though the big rubber plugs in the sides are a bit of a giveaway...

juansolo

Quote from: J0K3RX on January 18, 2015, 07:30:16 PM
Nice!! That is feckin cool yo  8)  How does it work, any problems, bugs etc...? Does it sound good? I have been messin around with this design tryin to get a distinct super hot rodded, fire breathing Marshall "Cameron" type of voicing with it.. It certainly already has the gain... just have to fire up the blow torch and bend it into shape ;D

Nice work as always!

No bugs we've encountered (other than the trace fix that Brane has already documented). There are a couple of small compromises we've noticed due to it being a combined thing, but nothing that really affects it too much. We'll be doing some little ones shortly and it'll be interesting to compare/contrast.

It also seems like a very versatile little circuit, what with there being 5 pedals based on it now (Tight Drive/Rock/Metal Fat Rock/Metal) So we're toying with seeing what we can get out of it when we have some more boards to experiment with.

Leevibe

Quote from: juansolo on January 18, 2015, 09:02:54 PM

I'm just good at hiding them ;) Though the big rubber plugs in the sides are a bit of a giveaway...

Naw. Those are toan condenser nodes. The black ones sound the best.

juansolo

Quote from: Leevibe on January 18, 2015, 09:10:03 PM
Quote from: juansolo on January 18, 2015, 09:02:54 PM

Naw. Those are toan condenser nodes. The black ones sound the best.

Especially the relic'd one that's been stuck on the back of a 1993 Merc for the last few years ;)