News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer 2

Started by dannoceti, January 18, 2015, 05:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannoceti

Finished the Kingslayer 2. I really like it as a clean boost! I learned a couple things during this build, but the main thing was I should probably take my time when punching for my holes. The drilling job I did is definitely a bit off with the switches and led, but oh well.

I can't believe how loud the kingslayer is!!! Why does it need to be that loud? It's soooooo loud haha. I think unity for me is with the volume at 9 o'clock with minimal gain. If I crank the gain I have to turn the volume to just a speck above off.

I also have the swoosh hiss whistling thing when the gain is all the way off. I don't mind it because I like having the gain up just a bit, which gets rid of it.  I find as you raise the gain past 9 o'clock the sound gets a bit honky and lots of high end loss. I think that's just the nature of the circuit. I checked to see if my klon clones do the same thing and they seem to.

To fix the whistling I'm going to order the 074 chip. I read through the forums and that seemed to help.

The buffer is great on this pedal! Is the buffer a bit different than the klon buffer, sounds better for some reason, better highs is what I'm hearing, but maybe it's the exact same haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dannoceti

Update: I just put 3mm red LEDs in with 1n34a's. The overdrive is much more usable than a klon in my opinion. It will be tough now to leave as a clean boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leevibe

Great job! Looking good inside and out.

It sounds like maybe you used a linear taper volume pot. If you don't like the control all bunched up toward the beginning of the rotation, try a log pot. It should spread the control a little more evenly across the rotation.

cooder

Great build! I have to get me one too me thinks....  8)
BigNoise Amplification

Shrtyska9

Looks killer man. I've got one half populated just waiting for the funds (and a tayda coupon) to order some more parts to finish it up.

Richard

Richard

selfdestroyer

Love that burnt orange paint. Clean build.

Cody

Cortexturizer

one cannot make a mistake with knobs like those, great work overall.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams