News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Adding a Boost circuit to overdrive

Started by mandrewbot3k, January 16, 2015, 01:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandrewbot3k

Simply asked, is a adding a boost circuit to an overdrive as simple as a switch, pot, resistor,-> feedback loop <- cap to VB?

I'm just looking at the differences of the Tim and the Timmy and was just wondering. I couldn't seem to find anything on Beavis regarding this without going into a transistor boost circuit. I'm looking for something that I could add into say the sparkplug possibly. obviously values would need to be tuned.

Any links to additional resources I missed? Beavis and geofex turned up empty.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

blearyeyes

Just pick a PCB like a bacon bits or an egghead and build it and then try it in front of or behind whatever you want..you can even find a PCB on Guitarpcb that lets you use a switch to change the order of two circuits...

Good luck!

midwayfair

Waaaay too general. In an op amp circuit, yes, you can typically do exactly what the Tim does, but there are far too many factors to say what's the best way for any particular circuit. Take a look at the Boneyard as well; that switches between two pots for the gain. There are other ways to go about it.

mandrewbot3k

I figured it was too general of an observation for an ic circuit but thought I'd ask. I've thought about the multiple volume pot too but liked the freq pot on the Tim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

morganp

Quote from: midwayfair on January 16, 2015, 03:51:59 AM
Take a look at the Boneyard as well; that switches between two pots for the gain.

This is my favorite way to do it; it's not much work, and the board stays the same size.  I did this with 1776's Britannia and it's pretty dang cool, since the gain on that one is kind of a treble booster.  Pretty flexible too, you can use different values or tapers for the pots, or use it for, say, two different delay times or tremolo settings.  Simple and works for all kinds of circuits.
affiliation: www.dustystrings.com

mandrewbot3k

Quote from: morganp on January 16, 2015, 07:51:48 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on January 16, 2015, 03:51:59 AM
Take a look at the Boneyard as well; that switches between two pots for the gain.

This is my favorite way to do it; it's not much work, and the board stays the same size.  I did this with 1776's Britannia and it's pretty dang cool, since the gain on that one is kind of a treble booster.  Pretty flexible too, you can use different values or tapers for the pots, or use it for, say, two different delay times or tremolo settings.  Simple and works for all kinds of circuits.

It all depends on the circuit I suppose. Sometimes diming the gain or level doesnt quite get the boost where you want it tonally. I know J.Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. has a switch that just bypasses the volume pot for full output on his Big Muffs for his lead tone.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)