News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help finding a work space for a college student

Started by brand0nized, January 15, 2015, 05:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brand0nized

I'm currently at a small private school, and I realized that when I moved in, I brought in a bunch of tools (soldering iron, drills, and dremels) that I'm not supposed to have. To make it worse, my roommate is an RA. I really want to build my pedals, but don't want to get into any trouble with my possessions.

My school doesn't have any sort of electronics program, so there's not really a room on campus where I could do this stuff.

Does anyone have experience in finding a place to do electronics work in a place where these tools aren't allowed for safety reason?

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

brand0nized

Quote from: alanp on January 15, 2015, 05:52:03 AM
Have you asked your RA?

I've checked the student handbook. It says that appliances with exposed heating elements are not allowed, so that rules out soldering irons. I'm also sure my knives and dremels are out because they're cutting tools, which they could argue to be "weapons", not sure about my drill.

I wouldn't ask my RA, so he wouldn't have it on his conscience, because I'm not even allowed to have it on campus, let alone use it.

TGP39

Maybe other students at your school build electronics too?  Place a flyer in the cafeteria that you are looking to meet other electronic diy junkies. You never know? Maybe one of them has a garage  ;D  and you meet new people as well.

Steve. 
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

mandrewbot3k

I wonder if the baristas at Starbucks would care if you brought in your iron :)

Has anyone actually used on of the coldheat irons? Maybe they'd be ok with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

RobA

Look to see if you have a makerspace or hackerspace nearby. If you do, that could give you some time to build and people there might be able to help you find additional space to work. Do you have a physics program? Maybe they would be willing to let you use a lab on occasion.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

brand0nized

Quote from: mandrewbot3k on January 15, 2015, 07:44:12 AM
I wonder if the baristas at Starbucks would care if you brought in your iron :)

Has anyone actually used on of the coldheat irons? Maybe they'd be ok with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm looking for places like that I can go to. I think the solder smoke would be a problem.

brand0nized

Quote from: RobA on January 15, 2015, 08:12:40 AM
Look to see if you have a makerspace or hackerspace nearby. If you do, that could give you some time to build and people there might be able to help you find additional space to work. Do you have a physics program? Maybe they would be willing to let you use a lab on occasion.

That's a good idea, I'll try for a science lab.

brand0nized

I just looked up hackerspaces and makerspaces. They charge a super high membership fee!

RobA

Quote from: brand0nized on January 15, 2015, 08:49:42 AM
I just looked up hackerspaces and makerspaces. They charge a super high membership fee!
Yeah, they can be not-so-cheap. The one around here has a student price which is quite a bit lower. Some colleges an universities have hackerspace clubs. If yours doesn't, maybe you could get one started and that could help you find space to work in because it would be more official.

Our local public library has a space for building stuff. They even have a 3D printer available. I've no idea how common this is, but I've seen that at least a few others have this sort of thing too.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

bcalla

Quote from: TGP39 on January 15, 2015, 06:41:53 AM
Maybe other students at your school build electronics too?  Place a flyer in the cafeteria that you are looking to meet other electronic diy junkies. You never know? Maybe one of them has a garage  ;D  and you meet new people as well.

Steve.
This might be your best shot.  If you can get a few other students who are interested you might be able to get an official club sanctioned by the school.  Then you can request access to a work space.  There might be a chemistry or physics lab that they would let you use.

Justus

Don't commit to actually having the tools of the trade on you, but ask someone like your RA or a professor with access to labs (chemistry, biology, physics, engineering, etc.) if there's a place you could do that kind of work.

If all else fails, look for a cheap, small, powered self-storage unit and create your own workspace there.  Instant man-cave.

playpunk

It is almost always to ask forgiveness than permission.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

flanagan0718

My wife's sister was part of the robotics department at UMass and they constantly had random people coming in to use the Irons and other tools. I would check to see if there is some sort of engineering or robotics lab as well. I have a friend that goes to the "Hackers space" all the time and he says it heaven for DIY addicts...like us.

brand0nized

Update, I've ordered a coldheat cordless soldering iron, so I hope that works out.