News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

AlanP's Doubleganger

Started by bcalla, January 11, 2015, 06:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcalla

I finished my first build of 2015.  It fired up the first time (if I don't count the attempt with no LEDs/LDRs).  Sounds great , no ticking.  What I really struggled with was the enclosure.  It looks pretty good - to some extent because I was careful which photo I chose - but it was a PITA to get there.

I know the name Alter Ego belongs to a production pedal, but it was the closest English translation for doppelgänger.

cooder

Wicked build and great squeezing of all those jacks! Great graphics too...! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

JoeDorcia

Nice build, I've got one of these boards on my bench... Cant wait to get it up and running.
Making noise since 2001... If only I knew what I was doing

Instagram.com/Twitter - @JoeDorcia pictures and pretentious ramblings about my son, coffee, food, pedals and guitars...

nzCdog

Oh man this is hot! Great build

Cortexturizer

Blown away by this one, perfectly done!
Thr only thing that I would do  differently is that I would lose the  white plastic washers on the switches but thats just me. Congrats, making a lovetone build is def a milestone in evry builders career!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

bcalla

Quote from: Cortexturizer on January 11, 2015, 08:17:27 PM
Blown away by this one, perfectly done!
Thr only thing that I would do  differently is that I would lose the  white plastic washers on the switches but thats just me. Congrats, making a lovetone build is def a milestone in evry builders career!

I always use washers because I don't like tightening nuts against my finished enclosures.  I recently bought some thin metal washers to use on stompswitches, but in this case I like the white ones better.

I originally cut a piece of black plastic and made a single "washer" to fit the back rather than use separate washers for each jack. I used a metal washer as a guide to round the ends and drilled 6 holes to match the jacks.  It looked great but in the end was just a little too thick, so the in-jack and the 2 out-jacks didn't have enough thread for me to fasten the nuts.

selfdestroyer

That is awesome. Im just waiting for my switched 1/4 jacks to come in to finish mine. I did the same enclosure orientation as you also. I love you knobs also.

Cody

m-Kresol

Wonderful. Clever name as well!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

bcalla

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 11, 2015, 09:17:02 PM
That is awesome. Im just waiting for my switched 1/4 jacks to come in to finish mine. I did the same enclosure orientation as you also. I love you knobs also.

Cody

Cody, if you haven't drilled yet I would approach the jacks a little differently.  As I did it, I had to grind down the posts in the enclosure and even grind some material off the jacks themselves.  Even with that you might have noticed that outermost jacks pitch inward.  If I were to do it again I would either leave off one of the CV jacks or stagger the height of the jacks so that they fit better.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: bcalla on January 11, 2015, 10:33:47 PM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 11, 2015, 09:17:02 PM

Cody

Cody, if you haven't drilled yet I would approach the jacks a little differently.  As I did it, I had to grind down the posts in the enclosure and even grind some material off the jacks themselves.  Even with that you might have noticed that outermost jacks pitch inward.  If I were to do it again I would either leave off one of the CV jacks or stagger the height of the jacks so that they fit better.

Thanks for the info. I actually have drilled mine but I left out the dry jack since I could not think of a use for it in my setup. I test fitted mine lastnight and all seems fine. Can't wait to get this boxed up and on my board.

Did you notice any difference using the shielded output wire? I have seen builds with and without it and I am just wondering if its worth it.

Cody

Leevibe

Nicely done! I love the wraparound graphic.

TGP39

I love this. You put so much effort into the design and graphics. It really shows.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

LaceSensor

Quote from: bcallaSounds great , no ticking.

Don't expect the gigahearts doppelgänger to tick
It was the Alanp low profile doppelgänger that ticked in some cases, and was never fully understood why (parts choice, wiring, proximity, psu etc)

Nice build glad to see another one complete.

alanp

To be fair, the 1.4 low profile fits in a 1590BB (the 2.1 doesn't), and at least I didn't get ticking :(

bcalla, really impressed by the jack area! I would have given up and just put the power jack at the bottom between the stomps (I have no pride, OTOH.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

AntKnee

Awesome build. Great job all around.
Where can I get one of these pcbs?
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".