News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz tips and tricks

Started by AntKnee, January 09, 2015, 03:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I have built a couple of fuzz pedals, and cant use them at live volume due to the excessive noise and feedback. Are ther any tricks or adjustments that can be employed to minimize this? Perhaps shielded wire, bending leads, etc?
Thanks!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Cortexturizer

What kind of noise are we talking about, could you supply a sound sample? Also, which circuits?
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

AntKnee

Quote from: Cortexturizer on January 09, 2015, 03:17:09 PM
What kind of noise are we talking about, could you supply a sound sample? Also, which circuits?

The one I really need to get under control is the JMK 5 Knob, here: http://jmkpcbs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/5-Knob-Fuzz.pdf

I will try to do a sample later, but it is a combination of constant low hum at any setting, and high pitch screaching feedback. If I max the gate it will stop, but I don't want to be limited to that tone, obviously.

sturgeo

I don't think that circuit was ever meant to be tamed!

Do a youtube search for fuzz factory and you'll get some examples.

Cortexturizer

ah...so the fuzz factory inspired one is making all those problems, well it's no wonder, but then again, you should've expected that because it kinda IS that sort of a pedal where noise IS it's sound. I haven't personally ever built one so I can't attest to intricacies of this particular fuzz nor what might be wrong with it, but it is such a popular circuit that I believe there are people here who could help even just from reading about what seems to be the problem.
What other fuzzes do you use, and when do you feel that the noise takes over more that you would desire? Do you play music that requires fast choking breaks under a lot of distortion/fuzz? In such a scenario I could easily expect one to be frustrated with some fuzz pedals.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

AntKnee

I play rock, in the tyle of Foo Fighters and QOTSA. There are times that I do choke it, but not all the time. Just comparing it to the fuzz factory demo on youtube, mine seems to be hotter, more prone to feedback. I love noise pedals. The Machete (Uglyface) is one of my favs, but I thought this would be more tame. I may be mistaken.

AntKnee

Also have a Retrograde that gets out of control.
I am starting to think I just need to try some other fuzz circuits.
I don't use them regularly, and am just experimenting for the most part. I tend to use boost/overdrive combos mostly. (Right now I favor an SHO into a klone.)

Muadzin

Quote from: AntKnee on January 09, 2015, 05:07:57 PM
I play rock, in the tyle of Foo Fighters and QOTSA. There are times that I do choke it, but not all the time. Just comparing it to the fuzz factory demo on youtube, mine seems to be hotter, more prone to feedback. I love noise pedals. The Machete (Uglyface) is one of my favs, but I thought this would be more tame. I may be mistaken.

I've built a few FF's, and so far none seems to behave exactly like they do in the vids with real Zvex FF's. I guess that with such a small circuit and finicky germanium trannies the slightest variations will produce some differences in sounds. Stab and Comp are the pots that affect oscillation the greatest. Oscillation aside it is a noisy circuit in itself, so it might be a good idea to use shielded wiring for the pedal input and effect input. And depending if you have more dirt pedals after it for the pedal output as well. Just because an effect is bypassed doesn't mean its not on. It could still influence your dry through signal.

AntKnee

Quote from: Muadzin on January 12, 2015, 03:02:35 PM
I've built a few FF's, and so far none seems to behave exactly like they do in the vids with real Zvex FF's. I guess that with such a small circuit and finicky germanium trannies the slightest variations will produce some differences in sounds. Stab and Comp are the pots that affect oscillation the greatest. Oscillation aside it is a noisy circuit in itself, so it might be a good idea to use shielded wiring for the pedal input and effect input. And depending if you have more dirt pedals after it for the pedal output as well. Just because an effect is bypassed doesn't mean its not on. It could still influence your dry through signal.

Cool, that makes sense. I'll try swapping in some shielded line and see if it helps. Thanks!

If anyone else wants to throw some fuzz advice in for others to find in the future, feel free.

gordo

Keeping it first in the chain (direct from guitar) will help rein it in a bit.  Makes it a bit more interactive with your guitar's vol and tone knobs.  Also try other transistors with lower gains.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

gordo

Keeping it first in the chain (direct from guitar) will help rein it in a bit.  Makes it a bit more interactive with your guitar's vol and tone knobs.  Also try other transistors with lower gains.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

rumbletone

The 5 knob is intended to be able to get crazy, but there should be some stable sounds in there too. IME the issue is usually (i) some type of active circuit between the pickups and the fuzz (buffer, other effects circuit), or (ii) power supply. Also, the 5 knob I built is 'stable' on in a relatively  narrow range of settings of the pots - i.e., at most settings mine will oscillate - though the gain on the transistors I used was higher than recommended - perhaps with lower gain it doesn't oscillate as easily (but what fun would that be?!).

Mojo Fandangle

The 5 knob, being essentially a Fuzz Factory, is extremely sensative to impedance from your guitar. Even though this is against germanium fuzz religion, I've found that placing a buffered pedal before it will hugely decrease the noise problem.
Also try all knobs except volume at around 2 o'clock.
Or try just turning the stability knob (or whatever the 5 Knob calls its stability function) to full / 5 o'clock.
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally