News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is it possible to test a fuzz pedal without the transistors?

Started by AntKnee, January 05, 2015, 01:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I am building a 5 knob fuzz, and I am waiting on my germs to arrive. I have socketed them, and was wondering if there is a way to jumper the sockets and test it out so I can go ahead and start boxing it up?
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

drolo

I personally would wait to get the transistors and test it then. Without them the only thing you can test is check if the connections are all good but it's only when you hook it up that you will know for sure if everything works. Especially with a fuzz, sometimes there are things you may want to tweak before boxing it.

But ... you can also live dangerously and go ahead ;-)

RobA

Quote from: AntKnee on January 05, 2015, 01:15:55 AM
I am building a 5 knob fuzz, and I am waiting on my germs to arrive. I have socketed them, and was wondering if there is a way to jumper the sockets and test it out so I can go ahead and start boxing it up?
I usually test Ge fuzz builds by putting in Si PNP transistors and seeing if it works first. It won't sound like a Ge fuzz or maybe even bias perfectly, but you should at least be able to test if the build is right this way.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair

First, any time you have a question about a project, you should link to the schematic. I assume by "five-knob fuzz" you mean a Fuzz Factory clone.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Zombii/docs/Zombii_ver.5.pdf

Let's say you did jumper the base and collectors of the transistors, just to check that your signal path is clear. Your signal will encounter several resistors and capacitors along the way. At absolute best -- with the gate and stab at full resistance -- your pickups will be trying to drive a load that is

[5K/10K] || 14.7K || [5.1K/5K] || 220K

You might hear a tiny whisper of guitar signal coming through, but is that really going to tell you anything? A fuzz pedal creates distortion by amplifying, so testing it without the amplifying devices doesn't really tell you much of anything at all!

GermanCdn

FWIW, I don't box anything up (or even drill the enclosure) until I am suitable happy with all the components in the circuit.  Built too many circuits that I "should" like that I didn't like, and repurposing a drilled box is not as easy as it would seem, especially with board mounted pots.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

AntKnee

Sorry about the breach of etiquette, there. Yes, it is a fuzz factory clone, the JMK 5 knob fuzz.

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't sound right, if it worked at all. I just wanted to knock it out. No worries!

I build every pcb I buy, box them, finish them. Some I like, some not so much. I do that not just for the sounds, but also because I just like collecting them and I REALLY enjoy the build process from start to finish.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

selfdestroyer

Quote from: GermanCdn on January 05, 2015, 03:47:17 PM
FWIW, I don't box anything up (or even drill the enclosure) until I am suitable happy with all the components in the circuit.  Built too many circuits that I "should" like that I didn't like, and repurposing a drilled box is not as easy as it would seem, especially with board mounted pots.

Same here... sometimes it takes multiple sittings with a pedal on my test rig before I decide if I want to box it up or not.

Cody

raulduke

Quote from: AntKnee on January 05, 2015, 06:23:45 PM
I just like collecting them and I REALLY enjoy the build process from start to finish.

I agree with that sentiment. Building pedals is  the biggest pleasure for me.

Finding space to keep them all is becoming an issue though  ;D

davent

Quote from: raulduke on January 06, 2015, 11:42:20 AM
Quote from: AntKnee on January 05, 2015, 06:23:45 PM
I just like collecting them and I REALLY enjoy the build process from start to finish.

I agree with that sentiment. Building pedals is  the biggest pleasure for me.

I'm firmly planted in this camp as well, finishing up and having it work is pretty anticlimatic, as i get closer to completion i start losing interest, lose focus, start disliking things i've done, seeing things i should have done, i need to start something new, try out the new ideas...

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?