News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbaby - First build of 2015

Started by LaceSensor, January 01, 2015, 06:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinki fuzz

Tremster

Good to see my PCB at a new and happy home.
8) 8)

bcalla

Off to a great (and quick) start to 2015.

LaceSensor

now with video

http://youtu.be/vUt5TuDjhpU

The Dirtbag uses 2 x MN3005 (many peoples holy grail chips)
The EHX uses 4 x MN3008 (with the analog man input gain mod performed by me)
The Dirtbaby uses a PT2399 digital echo

The Dirtbaby aliases and has a bit more background noise, but this may be due to the PT chip itself. For my money though, it cops the vibe of the real one, particularly at the more modest delay settings shown, whereas longer delays the noise factor isnt as musical as a real BBD delay.

For the record I always felt my dirtbag was quite dark, and I use a 330pF clock capacitor rather than the stock 240pF so that might have some influence on it...

Cortexturizer

yeah that dirtbag is really dark.
as for the dirtbaby - sounds very cool, definitely even better than the dirtbag in this clip. the DMM reissue is head and heels above em though, there's really a huge difference with how the sound splashes up and down when you're doing that percussive rhythm, which makes all the difference in a live band mix imho.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

selfdestroyer

I am super impressed with the dirtbaby. It really surpassed my expectations. The modulation sounded great and pretty spot on with the Smith riff.

Thanks for the video.. now I wait patiently for my board to get here. lol

Cody

SmoothAction

Nice one!

I've never had the pleasure of playing a real DMM, it sounded great in that clip though. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind I'll be getting a dirtbaby. I built an echobase a while back and while it can cop some of these sounds, I don't care. I want all the delays in the world. Be careful posting this to TGP, you might start a riot.  ;D

Thanks for the demo, I as well as others were very interested in a comparison. Sounds Great!

Max

LaceSensor

Cheers for watching lads.

I will post at TGP for a laugh haha

madbean

Thanks for the demo, Ian! And the comparisons.

I will get my own demo happening by next week. Since I boffed my enclosure so badly with the Envirotex I need to start over.

LaceSensor

Quote from: madbean on January 04, 2015, 12:25:27 AM
Thanks for the demo, Ian! And the comparisons.

I will get my own demo happening by next week. Since I boffed my enclosure so badly with the Envirotex I need to start over.

No worries
When I get another PT in I will make a better demo :)
be interested to hear other demos in the interim to further understand the noise floor with this circuit.

What was the reason to remove the compander circuitry?
And will the wider release feature a PCB rev to include the LED mod, and remove the other stuff (jumpers, omissions) ?

madbean

I did not see a reason to include the compander. Rather, I have yet to run across a PT2399 that has been improved significantly by including one. I know the PT-80 has one but I actually have not built that one personally. It just seemed like overkill in this circuit.

As far as noise, my proto had quite a bit until I added that LED. It seemed to be the magic mod for making this circuit sound good.

All the minor errors have been corrected and the LED mod has been added to the newly released boards.

LaceSensor

Quote from: madbean on January 04, 2015, 02:01:02 AM
I did not see a reason to include the compander. Rather, I have yet to run across a PT2399 that has been improved significantly by including one. I know the PT-80 has one but I actually have not built that one personally. It just seemed like overkill in this circuit.

As far as noise, my proto had quite a bit until I added that LED. It seemed to be the magic mod for making this circuit sound good.

All the minor errors have been corrected and the LED mod has been added to the newly released boards.

Cool. Im gonna get the new one too

Stomptown

Man!  That demo sounds pretty, pretty, pretty good!  ;) Order placed!

playpunk

"my legend grows" - playpunk

micromegas

Nice build and video! I can't wait to fire mine :)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io