News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Heat Gun

Started by k.rock!, May 25, 2011, 06:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k.rock!

Can anybody suggest a good, cheap heat gun for shrink sleeving? I've been heating sleeves with the heat my soldering iron irradiates and Im getting annoyed by it. Any suggestions? :)

Thanks!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jimmybjj

I use a lighter, never bothered with anything else because this was so quick and simple.
Pcbs no longer available

JakeFuzz

Lighter all the way. Leaves little carbon deposits on nicely colored shrink tube so I just buy black.

CRBMoA

I use this. I don't have all that accessory stuff. It is overkill, but you can adjust the intensity of the flame/heat, you can fry ants and flying insects with it in the summer, and I just enjoy being able to point a noisy blue flame!

Seriously, a lighter heats horizontal, and UP, but if you are working in an enclosure (repair, heat shrink after-thought on a nearly complete build), this is the ticket.

Haberdasher

I use a heat gun.  I got mines at Harbor Freight for $9.99.  Works great, and I use it all the time.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Fastocker

I use one of these:

http://www.pro-iroda.com/MJ600.htm

Mine's an old one I got at Radio Shack years ago --- it's labeled Radio Shack but is made by Iroda and uses the same refills.  Small, easy to use and works great --- no flame, just heat so you don't torch your wire or shrink tube.
Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe

oldhousescott

I picked one up at Lowes. I think it was intended for wallpaper removal. Two speeds, works great, pretty cheap IIRC.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: Haberdasher on May 25, 2011, 07:13:16 PM
I use a heat gun.  I got mines at Harbor Freight for $9.99.  Works great, and I use it all the time.

That's what i have too. The one I got has 2 heat settings, low setting works great for heat shrink and the high setting could probably strip paint like a mofo!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

cjkbug

Quote from: CRBMoA on May 25, 2011, 07:11:41 PM

I use this. I don't have all that accessory stuff. It is overkill, but you can adjust the intensity of the flame/heat, you can fry ants and flying insects with it in the summer, and I just enjoy being able to point a noisy blue flame!

Seriously, a lighter heats horizontal, and UP, but if you are working in an enclosure (repair, heat shrink after-thought on a nearly complete build), this is the ticket.

I use thing...it rules for heat shrinking! you can write your name with it too!
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

dwstanford

i use my wife's hair dryer 8)

Haberdasher

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on May 26, 2011, 12:16:21 AM
Quote from: Haberdasher on May 25, 2011, 07:13:16 PM
I use a heat gun.  I got mines at Harbor Freight for $9.99.  Works great, and I use it all the time.

That's what i have too. The one I got has 2 heat settings, low setting works great for heat shrink and the high setting could probably strip paint like a mofo!
Yep, I use low for almost everything.
The high setting you have to be careful with.  The other day I thought I'd quickly and lightly use it on high to help set up some paint on an enclosure.  I thought I was taking the proper precautions but it still bubbled the paint from about 4 inches away.  So don't do that unless you like sanding & starting over.  :)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bigmufffuzzwizz

Yup thats exactly what happened to me when I tried to use it to dry a finish faster. This one time I did it at night, in a rush not giving the paint proper dry time. When I sprayed the clear coat on, since it has a faster drying time it totally shrivled up on the back!!! And I used the heat gun on top of it  ::)
But it looked damn cool in the end.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

k.rock!

man, so many good choice...haha I have to say, I have tried a hairdryer before but I found that it took too long to shrink...worked though!

Never thought about a lighter...pretty cool too...And that Benzomatic and the Iroda one look really cool too!

I went to Harbor Freight yesterday and they had a heat gun for $20 but that thing was HUGE....I mean for our type of application...it definitely looked perfect for stripping paint of walls.

I think I might go for that Iroda one cause I don't really want to torch stuff up inside my pedals, since I usually shrink stuff inside the box...

Anywho, thank you all for your suggestions!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

FredGarvin

God, I must be the only cheap bastard here. I use matches. But, I only shrink outside of the box :P