News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

wife wants more sustain from bass

Started by neve1272, December 26, 2014, 06:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neve1272

well my wife asked for some thing that gives her more sustain and i want to do a 2 in 1 pedal .
she really like the fault line and i did a Green Russian  mudbunny.

so i was thinking maybe a compressor and faultline would do what she is wanting

i would love some thoughts on this and suggestions
Kip

alanp

Huh, I remember being hugely impressed with my P-bass'es sustain when I play it, compared to any of my guitars.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

neve1272

Quote from: alanp on December 26, 2014, 07:17:08 PM
Huh, I remember being hugely impressed with my P-bass'es sustain when I play it, compared to any of my guitars.

oh its not like that she has a geddylee jazz she is real happy with just wants some more growl/something....and i thought you guys might have some ideas
Kip

mremic01

Quote from: neve1272 on December 26, 2014, 10:18:23 PM
Quote from: alanp on December 26, 2014, 07:17:08 PM

oh its not like that she has a geddylee jazz she is real happy with just wants some more growl/something....and i thought you guys might have some ideas

+1 on the Geddy Lee Jazz. It has the most accessible neck I've ever played. And block inlays are a necessity. But I can see how it might not be beefy enough for the notes to ring out forever.

I haven't tried the Afterlife, but the Demeter Compulator is great on bass. There's also the Engineer's Thumb for an improved Ross/Dynacomp style compressor. My most recent bass pedal was a Bass Driver and Compulator in a 1590DD. If you include the XLR out, it makes a great grab-and-go rig.

The Klon does a good job of adding some grit on bass. And the OCD is great too. More dynamic and transparent with less low end loss.

alanp

I've had good reports on a ROG 22/7 on bass. (The coupling caps were a mix of 100n and 1uF box caps.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

neve1272

ok thank you guys i never even heard of some of these so i am gonna make her watch some you tube demos and see if any thing grabs her ....

if i have an xlr out do i need a transformer?
Kip

thesameage

Def an afterlife to start.

I have the klon component subs if you need them.

gordo

Ummm, did we establish a baseline (pun intended) on what she's playing?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

thesameage

I've actually been thinking of similar combos and was thinking of having a n afterlife/overdrive/green muff combo. For overdrive I'm thinking either jon patton's clipper ship or a klon.  Here's my thread on the topic:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=18972.0

mremic01

At the very least, a Klon should be in the signal path. Even if it's set clean. Just for horsie tone and cork sniffing.

thesameage

neve1272

thanks for that i have a sun king will try this
Kip

thesameage

Should be easy. Just 2 caps and 2 resistors and diff op amps.

hubb

I threw a pair of nordstrand pickups and the badass bridge on my p-bass and I have sustain for days. . . .

I haven't had much luck with diy compression thus far, but I use an MXR DI for basic overdrive, and the Green Russian Muff for fuzz.

Is building a 2-in-1 pedal as easy as taking the output from circuit 1 and running it over to the 3pdt of circuit2?  If so, i'd consider building my bear hug (1776 compressor) along with a klon buffer, or something similar.

-Chris

mremic01

Quote from: hubb on December 30, 2014, 02:58:12 AM
I threw a pair of nordstrand pickups and the badass bridge on my p-bass and I have sustain for days. . . .

I haven't had much luck with diy compression thus far, but I use an MXR DI for basic overdrive, and the Green Russian Muff for fuzz.

Is building a 2-in-1 pedal as easy as taking the output from circuit 1 and running it over to the 3pdt of circuit2?  If so, i'd consider building my bear hug (1776 compressor) along with a klon buffer, or something similar.

-Chris

The Geddy Lee Jazz should already have a Badass II. Personally, I prefer the Gotoh 201, but it the Badass does have a cooler name.

Yeah, you can stuff as many circuits into an enclosure as you want. Just run the 3PDTs' input and output lugs in series instead of to the jacks that would be between them if they were separate. If you're designing your own PCBs, you can put both on the same board and have them share a ground pour. You can also run a single wire from the DC jack to the board. Just consider where the signal is going and design accordingly.