News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

weener wah questions

Started by luks999, December 23, 2014, 11:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luks999

im goin to build the weener wah soon and have some questions

do you guys prefer the original clyde mccoy resistor values or the modified weener ones?

also concerning the whack control: i have an old crybaby lyin round that uses more caps (from 47n to 6n8). does this make sense? i think the 3 of the weener are fine. btw does a higher value than 22n make sense?

also concerning the boost section: does the boost a similar job like a transistor based boost pedal that also increases gain or is it just to get a clearer signal with more headroom?

thanks

luks999

i also wonder why are there 10M resistors between the filter caps?

brejna

Quote from: luks999 on December 23, 2014, 11:12:33 AM

do you guys prefer the original clyde mccoy resistor values or the modified weener ones?

I think changing Q resistor to pot is good mod, 'cause you can dial more tones out of it. That is R7 in schematic and put 100k pot there and that's it.
Also R2 could be changed to pot, I tried with 68k and 39k on dpdt switch and still I am adjusting gain trim to find best spot for Q1.

also concerning the whack control: i have an old crybaby lyin round that uses more caps (from 47n to 6n8). does this make sense? i think the 3 of the weener are fine. btw does a higher value than 22n make sense?

I went with 4n7,10n and 22n in whack control and I think I 4n7 is to sharp, so you could go bit higher 5n6. 10n is that ''real'' mccoy and 22n is massive. 22n is used in Zakk Wylde wah. Also you can put more in between caps, for example 12n is used in Jerry Cantrell wah.. etc

im goin to build the weener wah soon and have some questions

also concerning the boost section: does the boost a similar job like a transistor based boost pedal that also increases gain or is it just to get a clearer signal with more headroom?

To my ears it is more clean boost and it has a lot of dBs there, probably more that you will ever need

Quote from: luks999 on December 23, 2014, 11:17:49 AM
i also wonder why are there 10M resistors between the filter caps?
I think they are there just to prevent popping

madbean

Brejna got it all. You could use lower than 10M between the caps if you have to. I would not go below 1M on those resistors though.

luks999

thanks a lot for the great answers :-) you covered everything i wanted to know