News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First time recording in a studio

Started by hoodoo, December 22, 2014, 06:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodoo

G'day to all, Matt here, i know it's not pedal related, but it was good fun and i thought i'd share anyhow  :)
Went into a studio yesterday for the first time and recorded 6 songs, for a demo for agents, to try and get some gigs.
This is one of them. It was recorded live as a band, with the vocals, one take, added after.
The engineer, told us he once spent two days to get the right snare sound for a band, so six songs in a day, was never going to be perfect, but good enough for what we wanted, and it was a blast to do.
Oh, and i'm the fat bald dude singing ;D
Enjoy, (hopefully)  ;)

http://youtu.be/BjyckEewQmY

jubal81

I enjoyed that quite a bit! You got a great rock 'n' roll voice, bud. wow.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

alanp

The guy in the singlet with the Strat was really getting into it :) Bloody professional sounding.

I think I read an interview with KFK, might have been a guy from another band, saying how they practice and polish their songs on their own time, so they are able to go into the studio, record the songs one after the other, and get it sorted (in comparison to newer bands who apparently tweak and polish in-studio.) The liner notes for Sinatra's _Duets_ album was similarly entertaining.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

hoodoo

bcalla

Nicely done.  That's a great feeling when you finish a song and realize you nailed it.

Muadzin

Quote from: alanp on December 22, 2014, 07:09:22 AM
The guy in the singlet with the Strat was really getting into it :) Bloody professional sounding.

I think I read an interview with KFK, might have been a guy from another band, saying how they practice and polish their songs on their own time, so they are able to go into the studio, record the songs one after the other, and get it sorted (in comparison to newer bands who apparently tweak and polish in-studio.) The liner notes for Sinatra's _Duets_ album was similarly entertaining.

There are beginning bands who go into a studio and stay there like forever to tweak and polish their music? And they can afford this?  :o I thought only huge dinosaurs like U2 and Metallica did that. Must be blues lawyers then.

Personally I think this is why for most bands their first album is their best. Not only could they not afford to hire a studio for a long time, it took them so long to scrounge together the money to be able to afford a studio that they had plenty of time to perfect and tweak their music beforehand. Plus their songs got played a lot live on stage so by then they knew which ones to pick that audiences would like.

hoodoo

Here's another, only because it's news, unfortunately.  :'( RIP Joe Cocker, a true legend.
http://youtu.be/tWFIxcgPXI8

midwayfair

Quote from: Muadzin on December 23, 2014, 10:19:34 AM
There are beginning bands who go into a studio and stay there like forever to tweak and polish their music? And they can afford this?  :o I thought only huge dinosaurs like U2 and Metallica did that. Must be blues lawyers then.

Maybe not spend forever in there, but it takes a couple go-arounds in the studio to learn how things will sound different when committed to a recording (aka "we didn't practice enough/the parts weren't good enough but no one noticed live"), and typically newer bands need to spend a lot more time getting something keepable. In many ways, though, the naivete can be an advantage. Hell, I've recorded three studio albums and a few other things and recorded with other people and I still have a hard time properly visualizing a song on record until it's happening, so I waste time unnecessarily.

Big acts can afford to hole up in the studio to write the album almost from scratch. That's completely different.

Muadzin

Quote from: midwayfair on December 23, 2014, 01:54:28 PM
Maybe not spend forever in there, but it takes a couple go-arounds in the studio to learn how things will sound different when committed to a recording (aka "we didn't practice enough/the parts weren't good enough but no one noticed live"), and typically newer bands need to spend a lot more time getting something keepable. In many ways, though, the naivete can be an advantage. Hell, I've recorded three studio albums and a few other things and recorded with other people and I still have a hard time properly visualizing a song on record until it's happening, so I waste time unnecessarily.

Big acts can afford to hole up in the studio to write the album almost from scratch. That's completely different.

Still. the question remains, how can you afford this? Two days recording, 1 day mixing was the max we could afford for a pro studio. And only because our then drummer did them a favor so they knocked something off the price. And we could only record and tweak 4 songs in that time. Unless they're incredibly well disciplined financially, or get their (grand)parents to pay for it, I just don't see most bands as capable of spending prolonged time in a pro studio. Most musicians that I know are struggling to find beer money, let alone the thousands you need to hire a studio. Unless again of course they're blues lawyers.

How did you manage? What was your secret? Enlighten me, I'd love to know so I can repeat that feat. Recording in a studio was awesome.

midwayfair

Edit: Actually, this is a total derail from hoodoo's. Let's just enjoy his fine music.