News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Why do I want to buy every pcb out there?

Started by Luke51411, December 18, 2014, 07:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

Quote from: chromesphere on December 18, 2014, 10:51:55 PM
Its a natural phenomenon.  Don't fight it.
Haha Bean, Josh, Thomas, Rej, and all others with pcbs, take my money and make pcbs appear magically in my mailbox in 3-14 days

Hogharry

OK, I have PCBs that I bought over a year ago that I want to build, so why did 3 more turn up in the post today? The worst of it is that I have a Kingslayer that has already been superseded by the new improved Kingslayer 2. This is a terrible logical conundrum; how can I build it when I know there's something newer out there? I'm just gonna have to buy the new one and keep both in the box while I think about it. Here we go again...

Looking on the bright side, at least I don't have 70. Or 35 if you divide Juan and Cleggy's stash by 2. Not yet, but they're coming in faster than I am building them.  ???
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

jkokura

Have you seen JMK PCBs yet? If not, you should check it out. ;)

But seriously, I'm in the same boat as you man. Discluding the PCBs of my own projects, I have probably ordered 150+ different PCBs over the years from other guys.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

stevie1556

If we're counting duplicate boards as well, I think I'm sitting around the 130-140 mark (as my mates keep nicking them within a day or two of boxing). Bloody SMD designs being so damn addictive, I end up ordering too many boards.

Just got a Laserwolf, the new overdrive/distortion, and a Chunk Chunk. I've already been told the Chunk Chunk is going to get pinched by my best friends grubby little mitts, so even when I try and be good and just buy 1 of each board, it's pointless!

Hi, I'm Steve, and I'm addicted to buying too many PCBs for what little time I have for building.

jkokura

If we include duplicate boards...

I might be approaching 500.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Luke51411

Quote from: jkokura on December 19, 2014, 12:27:23 AM
If we include duplicate boards...

I might be approaching 500.

Jacob
Sounds like a good goal! Haha
Someday someone will ask "do you build pedals?" And I'll answer "no I collect pcbs, this 1st edition limited release danger zone is going to be worth something one day"

alanp

The problem comes when you start designing the damn things. At least then you have a good excuse for binning the crappy ones (that need wire links, trace cutting, or a lot of anglo-saxon language), but you also get the problem of four damn duplicates for every board, and the problem multiplies if it's boards no one wants to buy off you.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Quote from: stevie1556 on December 19, 2014, 12:17:29 AM
If we're counting duplicate boards as well, I think I'm sitting around the 130-140 mark (as my mates keep nicking them within a day or two of boxing). Bloody SMD designs being so damn addictive, I end up ordering too many boards.

Just got a Laserwolf, the new overdrive/distortion, and a Chunk Chunk. I've already been told the Chunk Chunk is going to get pinched by my best friends grubby little mitts, so even when I try and be good and just buy 1 of each board, it's pointless!

Hi, I'm Steve, and I'm addicted to buying too many PCBs for what little time I have for building.

Chunk Chunk, do the Cleggy mods:

To do a Dr Boogie this way first you'll need to make yourself a Fet matcher and grab a multimeter. It's also worth reading this  article on Fet matchery by RGKeen.

Ours run J201s in Q1 and Q2, and 2N5457s in the other positions. The J201s had the cutoff voltages measured at about -0.3v, and 2n5457s about -1v.

Using the fetzer valve formula for biasing, (0.6 x supply voltage) + (0.7 x positive cutoff voltage), everything has sounded great straight away. As an example a 2N5457 with -1v cutoff would be biased at 5.4v + 0.7v = 6.1v.

For buffer stage at the end we used a 2N5457 with the highest cutoffs we had. We also swapped out C16 for a 10nF to remove some high end fizz.

Makes it way more versatile. Will still chug with the best of them with the gain up, but can do this with it down:

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

stevie1556

Juansolo -realistically I'm not going to be able to build it up until at least mid Jan, but thanks for the advice! I've never matched fets before so always good to learn new stuff :) that video sounds absolutely amazing!

drolo

Quote from: Luke51411 on December 19, 2014, 01:05:33 AM
Someday someone will ask "do you build pedals?" And I'll answer "no I collect pcbs, this 1st edition limited release danger zone is going to be worth something one day"
Maybe we should get one of those stamp collector albums, only for PCB's :-)

PhiloB

Quote from: GermanCdn on December 18, 2014, 09:40:03 PM
Your wife will grow numb to it soon enough, provided you don't leave resistor leads in the carpet, in which case, you're a dead man.
Agreed...I can take the occasional lead through the foot.  It's a small price to pay for such a satisfying addiction...I mean hobby.  My wife and children are less forgiving:) I blame it on the dog tipping over the trash can.  My wife entertained it the first time (or least pretended to) but I need to come up with another cover;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flanagan0718

Quote from: PhiloB on December 19, 2014, 02:22:05 PM

Your wife will grow numb to it soon enough, provided you don't leave resistor leads in the carpet, in which case, you're a dead man.
Agreed...I can take the occasional lead through the foot.  It's a small price to pay for such a satisfying addiction...I mean hobby.  My wife and children are less forgiving:) I blame it on the dog tipping over the trash can.  My wife entertained it the first time (or least pretended to) but I need to come up with another cover;)

I would use the dog excuse but it's the only place my dog didn't go in the old house. now i have a whole basement to fill with PCB yummyness, scattered cut leads, and aluminum filings!

GermanCdn

Quote from: PhiloB on December 19, 2014, 02:22:05 PM

I think I've shared this before, but if not, here we go.

To avoid/minimize the possibility of resistor/cap/socket leads/offcuts making it to the floor, I mount a fly tying (my other vice, pun intended) material collector on my build desk.  This is commonly referred to as the "Divorce Preventer" in the fly tying world, as little pieces of feather/deer hair/rabbit fur floating around your house will make your wife seriously unhappy (almost as much as when you use the "good" coffee grinder to mix a fine blend of fox/rabbit fur dubbing, which explains why we have two coffee grinders, one clearly labelled FOR COFFEE ONLY).  They are deep enough to contain a massive amount of offcuts, the are lined so no parts get stuck in the fabric, the are big enough to do all of your cutting over, and they are small enough that they don't get in your way.  Once the leads start building up, I suck them out with the Shop Vac (don't use the good vacuum, refer to the good coffee grinder story above) and then dump the shop vac into the garbage in the garage.  This technique has almost eliminated stray resistor leads in my build area.

The unit I use is similar to this one, only it's the desk mounted version not the vise mounted version.  You can find them at any Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop/Sportmans Warehouse, or any fly fishing store in your area.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Tying/Tools-Vises%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/104340780/i/103884480/Cabelas-Material-Collector/709467.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftools-vises%2F_%2FN-1100441%2FNo-0%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103884480%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRcms196%253Bcat104340780%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP%26recordsPerPage%3D48&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRcms196%3Bcat104340780%3Bcat103884480
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

drolo

I run around my work place once in a while with a Neodym magnet
Sometimes I put on a Magneto Helmet just too make it funnier  ...

stevie1556

Quote from: drolo on December 19, 2014, 03:53:42 PM
I run around my work place once in a while with a Neodym magnet
Sometimes I put on a Magneto Helmet just too make it funnier  ...
tried to picture this, wet myself laughing! Haha!

Mr postman just delivered another 22 boards for me, my stash is getting bigger! Got my revised Don't Eat Yellow Snow boards, and some for a silicone fuzz face. Gonna try them as best as I can, but not sure I have all the parts for one of them. These boards are stupidly small, but should be quite newbie friendly :)