News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Why do I want to buy every pcb out there?

Started by Luke51411, December 18, 2014, 07:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

It's getting to be a problem, so many cool circuits... must... have... at least... one of each. I don't know how much more the bank account can take. I want to buy more even though I have at least a pile of 10 recently purchased pcbs waiting to be populated with more on the way... The kicker is that while I enjoy building on pcbs as much as the next guy, I kind of prefer the process of vero more...
Ugh... its a sickness.

icecycle66

Let me know if you figure it out.
I have the same problem.

Luke51411

The good thing is... in a pinch I know where I can unload some of them ;D

icecycle66

You wiley bastard, this was a set up from the beginning.

muddyfox

So, Luke...
You make it sound like it's a problem of some sort?

;D ;D ;D

flanagan0718

wait...this is a problem. Damn! now i have to hide it. well at least i have an "intervention" to look forward to.

Luke51411

Quote from: muddyfox on December 18, 2014, 08:15:16 PM

So, Luke...
You make it sound like it's a problem of some sort?

;D ;D ;D

Only when I don't have the money for the next fix :o

Luke51411

Says my wife "I don't understand why you have to keep ordering all these little metal parts... don't you already have enough to keep you occupied for the rest of forever?"

muddyfox

if my wife were a centipede, she'd still have enough shoes to last her way beyond the lifespan of the human race

GermanCdn

You've come to the wrong place for support my friend, if you've only got 10 PCBs partially populated, your problem is you don't have enough.

It's the same reason every time I join a support group for guys who buy too many guitars, it fails.  We all get together and it starts with "Hi, I'm Curtis, and I have a guitar buying addiction" and ends 45 minutes later in a group trip to the nearest guitar store where we all run the racks and empty the Used section.  Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt.  The T-Shirt reads "Hello, I'm a Guitaraholic on the road to recovery.  Just kidding, I'm on the road going to get my next guitar."

Repeat after me - "It's not a problem if I'm OK with it"  Your wife will grow numb to it soon enough, provided you don't leave resistor leads in the carpet, in which case, you're a dead man.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Luke51411

Quote from: GermanCdn on December 18, 2014, 09:40:03 PM
You've come to the wrong place for support my friend, if you've only got 10 PCBs partially populated, your problem is you don't have enough.

The 10 are just the ones I've ordered in the last couple weeks. Quite a few more backlogged but you are right, I don't have enough. I keep adding new shared projects on oshpark and opening up the projects window and thinking about which ones to order. I do need at least 3 of everything...

GermanCdn

A couple of semi serious pieces of advice:

1) It's actually a good idea to buy two copies of every board, one to build stock (or screw up), and one to toy with/mod/build correct the second time.  Taking a stock build that works and then modding it to make it "better" often results in it "not working anymore"  like the Blue Warbler I just tried to tweak, and ended up effing up both the board and the Vactrol.  And because boards (especially new ones) tend to go really fast.

2) While it's great to build a pile of stuff, pace yourself.  You can actually burn out on it.  I've just come off a four month hiatus of not building (did my first three new circuits last night) because a) I literally had 40 circuits ready to box that I never got around to  and b) Most of the boards I had in stock were of circuits I already had a number of variants thereof.  Taking a break helped, and I'm looking forward to building a lot over the holidays.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

murdog47

You think pedals are bad...stay away from amplifiers! Talk about an addiction!

juansolo

Did a count of our PCB box today... 70... Admittedly there's a bit of duplication, but still it's getting out of control! Especially as that doesn't count the stuff that's populated and in another box... Errp, about 15 counting in my head.

I have a bit of a thing where I buy PCBs when they're available if they look interesting... Or things that I think we might be likely to need at some point. Just in case you understand...

I can stop at any time though, it's not a problem...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

chromesphere

Its a natural phenomenon.  Don't fight it.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube