News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Songs famously played on a Marshall amp

Started by midwayfair, December 18, 2014, 03:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tremster

I think he played a Super Reverb, didn't he?
Those Marshalls, that must have been what the band was given on an England tour. But I'm not sure.

GermanCdn

It's a pretty wide net for Marshall amps (and not just hard rock stuff)

RHCP - most of their stuff (at least with Frusciante) was done on Marshalls
Bonamassa - OK, famous only in the Blooze world, but he's a fairly entrenched Marshall lover
AC/DC - as previously mentioned, but the more I listen to it, the "cleaner" sounding the Marshalls are than on most other hard rock efforts
Everything that wasn't played on a Rockman between 1986 and 1990 was pretty much on a JCM800, though you're probably not looking to play Cherry Pie (yes, I know, Warrant was actually using Carvins at that time, it's sad that I know that, you know you're a gear geek when Bobby Brown (in her prime) is in the video for 90% of the time, and yet you remember the 3 second shot of the stack behind the blonde doode).
The Rev BG uses JCM2000 and JMP-1 on tour, but his studio sound is likely built off of more amps than every Guitar Center combined.
Warren Haynes/ABB
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

RobA

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Hogharry

Having thought about it some more I realised that pretty much everything I played or attempted to play from 1980 to about 2005 involved a Marshall.

Don't forget the AC/DC and keep the gain lower than you might expect as GermanCdn pointed out.

Jim left an amazing legacy. Makes me proud to be British, brings a tear to my eye.  :'(

...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

stecykmi

slimtriggers

gordo

Besides AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" (pretty much text book humbuckers to JMP/JCM) my fave Marshall tones are Robin Trower on "Bridge of Sighs" (IMO the best song ever recorded), and Richie Blackmore on Deep Purple's "Lazy".
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Quote from: Muadzin on December 18, 2014, 04:17:07 PM
Ritchie Blackmore played through a Marshall amp with Deep Purple and Rainbow. A 200w Marshall Major amp.

As did Jon Lord! He had to keep up after all (edit: beaten to it by Alan).

Tonnes of stuff is played through Marshalls. But I suppose the most recogniseable is Angus and Malcom.

Gives me an excuse to post one of my favourite tracks.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jubal81

If you're doing a demo for the new ROG Thunderfet, I say bust out the hairspray and do some warrant or great white or something.
1) It sounds 80s 'metal' in the opening demo
2) It'd be very amusing to see Jon play some Warrant
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

juansolo

Warrant did some great music (I'm ignoring Cherry Pie...). I can see Jon doing this, get your wig on! ;)

Three really solid albums in Cherry Pie, Dog Eat Dog and Ultraphobic. Way beyond a lot of their hair metal contemporaries IMO.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

raulduke

Motorhead.

Seen them live and there were stacks of Marshalls.

It was also LOUD.... almost to the point of being painful.

The Who.

Pete Townsend was their first 'Marshall Stack' customer.

There is a brilliant documentary about Marshall that was on recently on the BBC. 'Play it Loud: The Story of Marshall Amplifiers'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04c3l7j

Definitely worth catching while it is still available!

peterc

Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

playpunk

Johnny marr is a Marshall user

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

sonarchotic

Quote from: juansolo on December 19, 2014, 08:52:04 AM
Quote from: Muadzin on December 18, 2014, 04:17:07 PM
Ritchie Blackmore played through a Marshall amp with Deep Purple and Rainbow. A 200w Marshall Major amp.

As did Jon Lord! He had to keep up after all (edit: beaten to it by Alan).

I haven't heard 'Child in Time' in ages! AHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHH! I'd love to do an acoustic cover of this in a little coffee house sometime with full on AHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHHH!'s. It would be bad for the coffee house's sales though. ;D