News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Power Supply Suggestions

Started by Diocide, December 16, 2014, 02:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diocide

So I'm getting a new headboard from Lyt pedalboards for Christmas. I really want to upgrade my power supply long with the board.

I'm currently using a Joyo supply that is decent, but I want something more heavy duty. Main thing being it has an IEC cord, 9 and 12 volt outputs are a must, and I'd like an 18, even though I don't currently need it.

Out front, I'm running all analog, low draw pedals (Pitchblack, EHX octave multiplexer, Bad Horsie, Phase 90, a fuzz or two, and a GGG trem) so I can daisy chain most of those.

In the loop I've got some higher draw digital stuff, EQD dispatch master, Ibanez de7, Boss ce2, Echorec and a Ditto.

WhAt do you guys recommend for a single psu that can handle this stuff and still leave me room to expand? I'm thinking either a Voodoo Labs PP2 or maybe a Cioks? The one thing  I don't like about the Cioks is the non barrel connectors on them.

Suggestions?

Jabulani Jonny

I recently upgraded from a BBE SupaCharger to a Voodoo Labs 4x4 .  I use it to run 11 pedals, including a TC Electronics Nova Delay that takes 12v at a draw of about 275ma.  it doesn't do 18v, but I'm okay with that.  I daisy chain my drives using a 1x5 cable off of one of the 9v 400ma jacks and still have plenty of expansion.  Great power supply.

About Cioks, remember, going against the standard barrel type connector means replacements/repairs are going to be more expensive and may limit you.  FWIW. 
Jonathan

gtr2

I recently went from a PP2+ to a 4x4...should have done it a while ago...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

I have a PP2, a 4x4, I've had a supercharger, and I'm getting a Cioks Adam for Christmas.

Voodoo Lab make great stuff. There's bound to be something in their list that will help with your needs. I don't know much about Cioks yet, but they also have a lot of options.

Really, you should check out the various companies so you can see what fits your needs best.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

m-Kresol

I don't know how the availability in the US is, but I use a Palmer PWT12. 12 Outputs (6x9VDC centre neg., 2x 9VDC with switchable pinout, 2x switchable 12AC or 9VDC and 2x18VDC or 1x18+1x12VDC)
It's heavy duty stuff. Build like a tank and rather heavy. all output-pairs have 250mA max current
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

selfdestroyer

4X4 here also, mainly for the high output ports for my Strymon pedals. I am powering a total of 10 pedals with it with no problems. I did have to use Voo Doo Labs warranty recently but it went smooth and got a new unit. It ended up being a factory defect that they rectified quickly to fix.

Cody

alanp

I have zero clue about the high current draw digital stuff, but my Cioks AC10 has been AMAZING for doing weirdo stuff. I couldn't have gotten into modular synth making so cheaply without it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

dont-tase-me-bro

I thought this would save me money.