News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Two Monkeys, Xenon, 96 Tears, and an 8-Ball

Started by G.G., December 15, 2014, 05:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.G.

Hi Folks,
I got these finished up all right around the same time so I figured I would post them as a group.

Two Monkeys is  KOT-style setup with a Morning Glory and one of Rutger's Atomic Blue Overdrive PCBs. Switches tend to be set and forget for me, and interfered with the decal design so I made them jumpered. I'm really, really happy with the sound on this one, a great combination. My first two-in-one, too!

The Xenon is a Son of Screamer-type circuit built on one of Rutger's nice Nucleon boards. He added a focus control, like on the Zendrive, making at a really flexible and great-sounding circuit.

96 Tears probably would have been a better name for a Wah pedal, I'm not sure why it seemed like a fit for this but here it is. This is a Fairfield Barbershop built using the GuitarFX vero layout. I'm still kind of on the fence with this one, I guess I need to figure out how to best use it. It's probably the most transparent drive I've played. I know that's a cliche, but it doesn't seem to color the tone much at all, just adds a little top and bottom like a loudness switch on a stereo. The Sag gets sorta synthy at higher settings.

Madbean's 8-Ball. I'm surprised I don't see more build reports for this circuit because it really sounds great, very well balanced. I really like this one a lot and expect it to get a lot of use!

playpunk

I'm waiting on a switch for my 8 ball... I have way too many projects to finish. Hopefully I can get some done between Christmas and New Years.

All of these look awesome - I really need to learn how to make decals too.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

cooder

What an awesome bunch! Great work, looking sweeeet! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

m-Kresol

I love the decal on the two monkeys. so much great (and utterly silly) graphics on the www :D
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Hogharry

...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

selfdestroyer

Great haul you got there. I really like the artwork you used. I know what you mean about the Fairfield Barbershop but there are some rare moments where it just sounds awesome. I think it loves loud amps and a little sag to make it meld. I need to update my build of the Barbershop, need to grab the layout on Oshpark.. keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder. lol

Cody

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

bcalla

Great looking batch.  Hard to pick a favorite but I'm a sucker for monkeys.

G.G.

It definitely sounds different through my amp than through my little pocket POD, I probably need to mess around with it more on an actual amp.
Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 16, 2014, 06:38:24 AM
I know what you mean about the Fairfield Barbershop but there are some rare moments where it just sounds awesome. I think it loves loud amps and a little sag to make it meld.

lars

Great-looking builds all around! I'm especially partial to the two monkeys though.

G.G.

Bret608

I always love the way your builds look but I am really partial to the 8-Ball. Someone posted a demo in the audio/video demo section and it sounded really good. Definitely on my radar.

You have a purple LED that's actually purple. Where do you order those? I keep ending up with those bluish violet ones. I love those too but want some real purple ones!

G.G.

Quote from: Bret608 on December 17, 2014, 03:22:42 PM
I always love the way your builds look but I am really partial to the 8-Ball. Someone posted a demo in the audio/video demo section and it sounded really good. Definitely on my radar.

You have a purple LED that's actually purple. Where do you order those? I keep ending up with those bluish violet ones. I love those too but want some real purple ones!

thanks Bret! The LED is actually a UV LED I got from Tayda. They're pretty cool looking but I read they're not so great for your eyes if it's something you're going to be looking at for lengths of time. Probably not a big deal in pedal though.

Kinki fuzz

Great looking builds! I like the two monkeys graphic!
About the 8 ball, you are right, killer overdrive, well balanced as you said, mine es waiting for a box