News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbaby LED limiting

Started by claytushaywood, December 15, 2014, 06:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I unfortunately missed out on the dirtbaby's short stock and I went ahead and tried the LED limiting mod on my deep blue delay... unfortunately I think its killing my pt2399's.

i am definitely going from pin 7 to pin4.

will this mod work on a deep blue clone?  or do i need to do something else to the circuit?

Matt

Connect it to pin 3. Pin 4 is not ground on the deep blue
Matt

sturgeo

Quote from: Matt on December 15, 2014, 12:07:26 PM
Pin 4 is not ground on the deep blue

Whilst that is strictly true for the original, a lot of people connect 3&4 to GND as this fixes an issue with certain PT2399 chips.

midwayfair

Make sure you have the anode on pin 7, and make sure that your pin4 is actually connected to analog ground.

Muadzin

*Checks upon Dirtbaby pdf*

*realizes what he has missed*

claytushaywood

well i just quadrupled checked everything- got a new LED confirmed positive and negative legs.  confirmed pin 4 goes to ground.  put positive of the LED to pin 7 and negative to pin 4.  (both pin 3 and 4 connected to each other) 

and i fried another pt2399... that's 4 good pt2399's gone :(

selfdestroyer

Quote from: claytushaywood on December 16, 2014, 03:46:37 AM
well i just quadrupled checked everything- got a new LED confirmed positive and negative legs.  confirmed pin 4 goes to ground.  put positive of the LED to pin 7 and negative to pin 4.  (both pin 3 and 4 connected to each other) 

Chin up man, I get more than that bad in one tayda order :]

Cody

madbean

I don't understand how this is possible. I don't doubt it, but are you sure they are fried and not temporarily locked up somehow? Have you tried grounding all the pins and re-checking it? What are the exact voltage measurements you get on pins 7, 3 and 4?

claytushaywood

I have no idea about locking up pt2399s!  How exactly would I go about grounding each pin? Just individually connect.each pin to ground while powered on?

Matt

Quote from: sturgeo on December 15, 2014, 12:42:00 PM
Quote from: Matt on December 15, 2014, 12:07:26 PM
Pin 4 is not ground on the deep blue

Whilst that is strictly true for the original, a lot of people connect 3&4 to GND as this fixes an issue with certain PT2399 chips.
I wasn't aware of this, thanks.
Matt

claytushaywood

Quote from: madbean on December 16, 2014, 09:37:03 AM

I don't understand how this is possible. I don't doubt it, but are you sure they are fried and not temporarily locked up somehow? Have you tried grounding all the pins and re-checking it? What are the exact voltage measurements you get on pins 7, 3 and 4?

sorry I forgot to quote you on my last post-

how do i unlock the pt2399?  Do I just hook up the deep blue to my breadboard and power it then use a jumper cable to go to ground on the pins individually?

midwayfair

Quote from: claytushaywood on December 16, 2014, 09:06:40 PM
Quote from: madbean on December 16, 2014, 09:37:03 AM

sorry I forgot to quote you on my last post-

how do i unlock the pt2399?  Do I just hook up the deep blue to my breadboard and power it then use a jumper cable to go to ground on the pins individually?

Often the chips will unlock after a day or two on their own. Your breadboard idea would be fine. I don't think you necessarily have to ground all the pins simultaneously, it's just to remove any stored capacitance. (Which drains over time, hence why I said that they usually unlock on their own after a day or two.)

I can't think of anything about the LED mod that would do what you've described. It simply conducts when the voltage on pin 7 rises to ~1.8V or higher, and it's been done in about 5 different designs now.

culturejam

Quote from: midwayfair on December 16, 2014, 09:27:06 PM
Often the chips will unlock after a day or two on their own.

Interesting.

Whenever I've had a PT lock up, I kill power to the whole circuit, wait 10-15 seconds, and power back up. Seems to solve the issue.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

atreidesheir

Quote from: Muadzin on December 15, 2014, 02:24:29 PM
*Checks upon Dirtbaby pdf*

*realizes what he has missed*

me toooooooo!
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

claytushaywood

Quote from: culturejam on December 17, 2014, 02:21:49 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on December 16, 2014, 09:27:06 PM
Often the chips will unlock after a day or two on their own.

Interesting.

Whenever I've had a PT lock up, I kill power to the whole circuit, wait 10-15 seconds, and power back up. Seems to solve the issue.

thanks.  i promise you i am doing everything correctly.  i've tried it 4 times over about 3 days checking connections, checking LED's, having working pt2399's to begin with, checking voltages, everything.  its not exactly a difficult thing to do.

and now my pt2399s dont work.  ill check em tomorrow to see if theyve unlocked or if theyre donezo. 

I believe I'm using those terribly dim LED's that tayda used to carry (maybe still does) and I used a 3mm diffused green LED.