News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mouser Xicon resistor price bump

Started by Luke51411, December 13, 2014, 10:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

It looks like they raised the price on Xicon metal film resistors >:( I bought a bunch a month or two ago for 1.8 or 1.9 cents maybe less at the qty price break of 200 now they are showing 2.5 cents each... I guess that will drastically slow down my conversion...

midwayfair

Smallbear has always been cheaper on these at 200. :)

Luke51411

RobA

Quote from: midwayfair on December 13, 2014, 03:45:48 PM
Smallbear has always been cheaper on these at 200. :)
I never noticed that. That's a good price. I can't see if or where it says what brand or series these are. Do you know which resistors they are?
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair

Quote from: RobA on December 13, 2014, 04:45:38 PM
Do you know which resistors they are?

I'm almost positive that they're Xycon. They're identical to the ones I've gotten from Mouser in terms of lead thickness and color.

RobA

Quote from: midwayfair on December 13, 2014, 07:43:29 PM
Quote from: RobA on December 13, 2014, 04:45:38 PM
Do you know which resistors they are?

I'm almost positive that they're Xycon. They're identical to the ones I've gotten from Mouser in terms of lead thickness and color.
Cool! I'll definitely keep that in mind for my next order to Smallbear. I'm starting to run low on a couple of the more common values. Thanks!
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

alanp

Are those the resistors with ungodly thick leads? I bought some mystery resistors from the local Jaycar once before it closed (it was saturday, and I wanted to verify that 1.4 Doppelganger NOW dammit, not in a week), and they wouldn't sit flat because of the tree trunk legs on them.

Partly why I keep buying el cheapo tayda resistors :P
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

RobA

Quote from: alanp on December 13, 2014, 08:21:15 PM
Are those the resistors with ungodly thick leads? I bought some mystery resistors from the local Jaycar once before it closed (it was saturday, and I wanted to verify that 1.4 Doppelganger NOW dammit, not in a week), and they wouldn't sit flat because of the tree trunk legs on them.

Partly why I keep buying el cheapo tayda resistors :P
The Xicon leads are actually on the thin side. They're certainly more robust than the Tayda, but they are thinner than say the Vishay-Dales. I prefer the leads a bit thicker than the Xicons but they are definitely good enough and take heat and solder well. The Xicons are decent quality resistor overall and are always well within spec.

stecykmi

that's funny, they lowered the price earlier in the summer. now they're back to the original price i guess

mremic01

Mammoth and Small Bear both sell Xicon. I just throw them in with whatever else I'm ordering from whatever supplier. Though it was nice to stock up with Mouser's prices the last few months.

I always considered the leads to be standard thickness, but sometimes a chinsy Tayda resistor will sit better if the lead spacing is a hair too small.

Stomptown

Man, I'm tempted to buy the resistor kits from Small Bear.  They have 4 different kits each with 12 values at 100 pieces for under $0.02  per resistor, which aint bad...

pickdropper

Quote from: Stomptown on December 14, 2014, 04:56:19 PM
Man, I'm tempted to buy the resistor kits from Small Bear.  They have 4 different kits each with 12 values at 100 pieces for under $0.02  per resistor, which aint bad...

I did that when I started and I am glad I did.  It covers most (but not all) standard values and is more balanced towards pedal building than most resistor kits on eBay (not so many sub 100 ohm values).  Refilling with Xicons after that is easy.

Mouser used to be the same price as Small Bear at quantities of 200.  As mentioned previously in the thread, they dropped the price to 1.4 cents a resistor at 200 pcs.  It's too bad they raised them again.

You can also check Allied Electronics.  Their house brand resistors (BCD I believe) can be really inexpensive.  I like to get 1/8W resistors from there.  They don't have as many values as some of the other places so there is some fill in necessary.  Also, make sure to check for the standard resistor values; for example, they might have 475k but not 470k.  These follow the more standardized values you find in SMT resistors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

The house brand at Newark Electronics is also very good. I like their resistors and electrolytic caps. The brand name is MultiComp.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

dadler

TGP39

The Koa brand resistors are cheaper than Xicon on mouser. That's what I buy and I love them. Leads are the perfect size for me.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.