News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jobs I would like to have

Started by micromegas, December 11, 2014, 11:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

Someone shared this on facebook:
http://io9.com/10-weirdest-origins-of-classic-science-fiction-sound-ef-1590477009

And for those that do not want to click on a lick, here's a video:

Creating sound for videogames and films is one of my dream jobs. And that's why I'm trying to get into an Audio Signal Processing Master for next year (that and guitar pedals, of course  ;D).

What would be yours?? (don't have to be music related)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

sonarchotic

That clip was awesome! That's a pretty iconic sound and how cool to see and hear how it was made.

Sound design of some type would be a cool job. I think in terms of texture usually when I write music so it seems like that would be fun. It would be great to get to devote more time to capturing and messing with found sounds. I think my dream job would be music/ audio electronic related but ideally something that had me taking on different projects regularly. Kinda like diy but paid for it ;D I don't want to just sit and build the same thing over and over.

RobA

That's a pretty cool video. I've seen several clips on special effects sounds and they always seem to be made in weird unexpected ways.

My dream job? Beer QC.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Stomptown

I apologize color this pic heavy post in advance but I thought this was a good opportunity to show you guys what I used to do.  I worked for The Natural Resource Conservation Service, Oregon Snow Survey from 2011 to 2013 and it was my absolute dream job.  Unfortunately, I was a contractor and they were unable to hire me on permanently due to current mandates to hire US military veterans, which really sucked. Regardless, I am so blessed to have had the opportunity and it was the most transformative experience of my life as an individual (obviously cannot compare to meeting my wife or the birth of my daughter!). In a nutshell, I maintained and built weather stations that used meteor burst technology to send and receive information from various sensors in the remote sub-alpine wilderness.  Like Rej up north, I got to spend a lot if time in the middle of nowhere and it was truly amazing.  Plus we got to operate ATV's, snow machines, snow cats, etc on a regular basis so it never really felt like work!!! That being said, I think everything happens for a reason and the extensive travel (out of town 60% of the year) was tough and I missed a lot if the first two years of my daughters life.  I look back on that job with the fondest of memories and think that it was instrumental in making me the person I am today. I thank the stars every day for the experience and for the great friends I made while I was there.  If you read all that, thanks!  Here are some pics of my adventures...

This is a SNOLITE system we installed to eliminate flights to remote areas to measure snow pack from the existing aerial marker which it is attached to. I designed these enclosures, which wouldn't have happened without my pedal building skillz! Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me etch the enclosure! 😜

This is a precipitation gauge which is used to collect and quantify rainfall using pressure transducers.  I thought we were going to roll that side-by-side down the hill at one point.  We actually had to hang from the roll bar on the uphill side of the trail to prevent it from rolling.  I'm not sure why a 280 pound man was driving on the downhill side!

Me, a snow storm and a tracked ATV!

The view from the office!

Helicopter mission = scary fun

Me replacing a sensor after a fire burnt down one of our stations.

Winter Funtime!

Having fun like always!

The Northern Cascades! Only a handful of people have had the opportunity to step foot at this location.

Mich P

Wow, that's very cool Jon !
Mich P.

juansolo

Quote from: dan.schumaker on December 12, 2014, 12:38:16 AM
My dream job is to someday be retired  :)

Damn straight. Mine would be to simply have enough money to continue doing what I'm doing (temporarily retired).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

raulduke

Those photos are awesome.

Looks like you had an awesome time dude.

I would imagine its a great feeling doing something you love and getting paid for it.

micromegas

Wow! Those are great picks Jon, and an amazing job.
My gf's brother is a forest engineer and would like to live in a place like that. I would like to show him these photos if you don't mind.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

RobA

Quote from: Stomptown on December 12, 2014, 04:28:31 AM
... I worked for The Natural Resource Conservation Service, Oregon Snow Survey from 2011 to 2013 and it was my absolute dream job.  ...

Yes, that's an awesome job! Cool photos too and it would be difficult to beat that location.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

madbean

Other careers I would enjoy: general contractor (would be awesome to know how to build an actual house), astronomer (my original college major), film industry (in the background....like the production side of it). For a few years I was pretty serious about being a 3D artist in the movie or games industry. I'm really glad I did not follow through with that because artists in these fields are getting screwed really bad. Maybe game development instead...that would be some fun.

Jon wins the thread in any case!

playpunk

Pro cyclist.... Full time camp counselor....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on December 12, 2014, 09:02:38 AM
Quote from: dan.schumaker on December 12, 2014, 12:38:16 AM
My dream job is to someday be retired  :)

Damn straight. Mine would be to simply have enough money to continue doing what I'm doing (temporarily retired).

Same here.  I have a job I love (audio engineer) but someday I would love to be retired and have time to dedicate to my hobbies.  In an ideal state, I'd be in a financial position that was comfortable enough that I was content to let my hobbies remain hobbies.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

In my next life I intend to be an adult film stunt double, for all those tedious close up shots that simply drain the headliners.

In all seriousness though, besides the insane level of stress I function at in my everyday job, I'm pretty happy with it.  I've managed to travel the world on other peoples dimes, and funded all my extra curricular activities I enjoy so much (my work balance is I work to live, not live to work).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

flanagan0718

My dream jobs are as follows:
Paleontologist
Film Industry (non actor). maybe a director or producer
Music Industry (producer or engineer)
Honestly since I was a kid (maybe 5 or so) I've said these 3 things.