News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wedge Enclosures

Started by Guybrush, December 09, 2014, 09:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has any good sources for wedged shaped enclosures?

I've done some Googling and whenever people ask this question they generally get directed to www.pedalenclosures.com but this site now seems to be closed. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I live in the UK so sources based in Europe would be doubly helpful!

Thanks in advance.

stevie1556

I'm in the UK as well and just got some from Das Musikding in Germany. Not the cheapest, I paid about €28 I think, including p&p. I got 2 of the smallest size ones. Here is a pic of one, great quality though.

Guybrush

Ahh thank you. I have looked on Musikding but I still can't find these on their enclosure page. Would you please be able to link me to the listing? Thanks

micromegas

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

stevie1556

Quote from: Guybrush on December 09, 2014, 10:12:46 AM
Ahh thank you. I have looked on Musikding but I still can't find these on their enclosure page. Would you please be able to link me to the listing? Thanks

Here ya go http://www.musikding.de/Sheet-metal-enclosures

I got the MDC 432 ones, and they are great quality. I've just finished making drilling templates for mine, marking the enclosures, and double checking the markings. I've come to realise a potential downfall to all wedge enclosures though, drilling them! :( If you do get teh same ones as me, I've got what looks to be a good 2 knob template drawn out for it if you want a copy of it.

davent

Hammond 1590G (renamed Eddystone enclosure) can be sliced down to a nice roomy wedge and Mac Walker is doing another run of his wedges which are really nice to work with enclosures. He'll ship outside the US but you'll need to check with him on costs.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=97548.msg998155#msg998155
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Chopped 1590G1590J, and Mac Walker's wedge.

dave

edit; 1590G1590J, G is small, barely deep enough for a 3p3t switch got my j/g sound mixed up
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Guybrush

Thanks for the help everyone. All greatly appreciated.

Quote from: davent on December 09, 2014, 04:38:37 PM
Chopped 1590G and Mac Walker's wedge.

dave

I'v messaged Mac to ask for a quote to ship to the UK. If this turns out to be cost-ineffective is there any way you could explain the process of cutting down the 1590G?

Thanks

davent

Sure, i took some pictures as i went along that i can upload. Hacksaw with a sharp blade and a large sanding block with coarse paper to smooth things out are all i used for trimming. Couldn't be bothered hauling out the belt sander. Steel rule and marker for layout , clamps to hold enclosure on edge of workbench while cutting, all in all nothing special. I did deepen and retap the holes on the shallow end of the box.
dave

davent

Quote from: davent on December 09, 2014, 05:36:33 PM
Sure, i took some pictures as i went along that i can upload. Hacksaw with a sharp blade and a large sanding block with coarse paper to smooth things out are all i used for trimming. Couldn't be bothered hauling out the belt sander. Steel rule and marker for layout , clamps to hold enclosure on edge of workbench while cutting, all in all nothing special. I did deepen and retap the holes on the shallow end of the box.
dave

Put it here.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=18731.msg180441#msg180441

Guybrush

Thank you! Really appreciated.

stevie1556

Dave, great info on the enclosure modifying there, but just out of interest, how long would you say it takes you to mark, cut, file, etc? After drilling the ones I got (much harder on the drill bit then the diecast boxes) and the odd shape is a bugger to mount in the drill press, and drilling holes before cutting a box could work well.

davent

Difficult to say this being the first one (back in August) and figuring things out as i went along ,  setting up and taking pictures, just puttering along with no eye to the clock, i do have the  photo times from the camera, 7:17pm for the first and the tap photo was 8:49. Again, this was in no way a production run, a lets see how to go about this/stare and ponder, scratch-the-head effort. Pleased with the results and wouldn't hesitate to do it again, (i do have three more of Mac's wedges too).

For drilling i would just prop up the low side with a small scrap or a few stacked scraps of thin plywood, masonite, acrylic... 'til somewhat level. I never secure while drilling, i start at 1/16" and my step bit is 1/32" steps so really no torque whatsoever, i've released the enclosure while drilling and it just sits there. If i was going to secure it, i'd hold the propped up enclosure in a big wood screw clamp i have then clamp the wood screw to the drill press table, nah...

Wood screw clamp

dave

dondougie

If you like repro enclosures and are located in the UK, send an email to PigeonFX (http://www.pigeonfx.com/contact.html)
He did some runs of folded steel MKI Tonebender Enclosures in standard black and gold, blue or white, which are really good quality, as well as Big Muff repros.