News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wonky drilling or too picky?

Started by mcallisterra, December 08, 2014, 01:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Big hole in the explanation I'm afraid.

If the holes were drilled "oversized" then why are they not all lined up oversized? Oversized is not an excuse for them to not be in alignment.

Someone screwed up. Big deal. Just admit it. I am guessing that they have had a lot of fake complaints and this is their knee-jerk reaction to it -OR- they stuck you with one of their "Blems" and charged you full price.  :-\

You should send it back.

bcalla

I never had a quality problem with any PPP orders.  They drilled a relatively complex pattern on an enclosure for me 5-6 years ago and it was perfect.  And they always shipped quickly and accurately filled every order. 

That being said, I rarely do business with them anymore because of their limited selection, high prices and high shipping charges.

I can't believe that they would let their reputation take a hit like this.  They have to know that bad service stories make good forum posts...

jkokura

Limited selection?

I'm not sure, but I can't think of a company that has more different options for colours and sizes of enclosures.

Try emailing them back and asking them to reconsider. Maybe you should explain that you needed it to be more precise than the allowance for 'oversize holes.'

As for me, I think that if it's a pedal for me, I don't think it's that much of an issue. It does look bad at the angle you've posted, but it's not the worst I've seen on a DIY pedal.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Leevibe

Wow, that makes me sad. I wouldn't have expected that drill job or that response.

I had an issue with them a few years ago in which they shipped me a coated enclosure that had been scratched. At first they weren't going to rectify the situation, but when I politely restated my case, they took my word for it that I wasn't the one who had scratched it, and they replaced it free of charge.

It might be worth another shot. Connie over there is pretty reasonable, and I expect that she hears all kinds of stories from people who screw up their enclosures in one way or another and expect her to eat their mistakes.

Willybomb

You'd want it to be better than what you could do at home, and frankly, I'd be pissed if I'd done one like that with my usual method of kneeling on the box on the kitchen floor.  If you've paid for it to be done, you have the right to expect that it's in line, and the stomp switch hole isn't.

I think they've probably given a low to fair response.  They don't agree, but they'll refund.  They have the right to express their opinion, even though it's the wrong one, lol.

Edit, lol, maybe I'm wrong and it's the middle hole that is out of alignment.

raulduke

The middle (LED?) hole looks a few mm off from the large hole centre.

That is not acceptable for a paid for per drilled enclosure IMO.

I'd politely ask them to reconsider their stance on the matter... Maybe measure how off centre the holes are and see what they come back with?

pickdropper

Quote from: Leevibe on December 08, 2014, 11:02:58 PM
Wow, that makes me sad. I wouldn't have expected that drill job or that response.

I had an issue with them a few years ago in which they shipped me a coated enclosure that had been scratched. At first they weren't going to rectify the situation, but when I politely restated my case, they took my word for it that I wasn't the one who had scratched it, and they replaced it free of charge.

It might be worth another shot. Connie over there is pretty reasonable, and I expect that she hears all kinds of stories from people who screw up their enclosures in one way or another and expect her to eat their mistakes.

I've spent an awful lot of money with PPP (especially in the past few months) and I've always found Connie to be great to deal with.  I've had some issues, but they've generally been dealt with.

But that response is really a terrible reply.  If that is the limit of their promised drill accuracy then the service has limited usefulness.  That level of accuracy wouldn't work for the majority of the designs I've done.  I can understand process limits, but I think they should identify that on their site. It'd be easy enough to say that "holes may be off in as much as 0.040" in any direction so we drill oversize holes."  That would be enough to set proper expectations.

If it's a standard drill pattern, I would've expected them to knock them out by the bunches on their CNC, but it appears they aren't doing them that way.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

Yeah, I was surprised to hear that was PPP and that was their response.  Generally have had great experience with them.  Even the blems I've gotten (as blems) have been top notch.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

bcalla

Quote from: jkokura on December 08, 2014, 10:44:37 PM
Limited selection?

I'm not sure, but I can't think of a company that has more different options for colours and sizes of enclosures.

When I do buy from them, it's because of their selection of enclosures / colors.  But since their shipping is so high, I like to add in a bunch of other things to cost-justify the order.  I'm never able to find many of the other items on my shopping list there, I always have to place another order somewhere else.

mcallisterra

Quote from: raulduke on December 08, 2014, 11:22:28 PM
The middle (LED?) hole looks a few mm off from the large hole centre.

That is not acceptable for a paid for per drilled enclosure IMO.

I'd politely ask them to reconsider their stance on the matter... Maybe measure how off centre the holes are and see what they come back with?

The LED hole is off to the right and the stomp hole is off to the left, hence the 'zig-zag' look someone mentioned above.

At this point, with that response to what was a very polite initial email, I am done with them. I am getting my money back and never spending another dollar with them.

Leevibe

Quote from: mcallisterra on December 09, 2014, 12:13:09 AM

The LED hole is off to the right and the stomp hole is off to the left, hence the 'zig-zag' look someone mentioned above.

At this point, with that response to what was a very polite initial email, I am done with them. I am getting my money back and never spending another dollar with them.

I certainly wouldn't fault you for not wanting to deal with them in the future after that response, especially if this is your first experience with them. (Not sure if it is or not) But, something about this is really surprising to me. Did you send them the pic in your email? The reply you got made it sound like they just looked at the pre-drilled stock on hand and it looked fine. Yours looks like a "how did that happen?" drill job. You would certainly have done better on your own with a center punch and a step bit.

I don't know if it would be right for you to say, especially given that you've pasted an actual email into your post, but I wonder if it was someone else, other than Connie who replied to you. The suspicious part of me wants to think it was the dude who did the noob drill job. It's hard for me to believe that Connie would defend this. It honestly looks terrible. Way below what I would expect to be their standards. I've never ordered a pre-drilled case, but their parts and powder coating have always been excellent, with the one exception that they took care of.

Anyway, sorry you had a bad experience. I think you're probably the rare exception. Hopefully so, as I have parts incoming from them right now. My advice (for what it's worth) is that if Connie isn't the one you dealt with, address a new email to her and be sure to include that pic. If she was the one who sent you that ridiculous reply, then my opinion of PPP may have just slipped down a peg.

midwayfair

This greatly surprises me. PPP uses a CNC machine guided by software. I've never seen something that off from them, even the blems.

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on December 09, 2014, 01:29:28 AM
This greatly surprises me. PPP uses a CNC machine guided by software. I've never seen something that off from them, even the blems.

I think most one-off stuff is done by hand and the CNC is used for the larger runs, which makes sense as it takes time to program the CNC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

mcallisterra

Quote from: Leevibe on December 09, 2014, 01:18:09 AM
I certainly wouldn't fault you for not wanting to deal with them in the future after that response, especially if this is your first experience with them. (Not sure if it is or not) But, something about this is really surprising to me. Did you send them the pic in your email? The reply you got made it sound like they just looked at the pre-drilled stock on hand and it looked fine. Yours looks like a "how did that happen?" drill job. You would certainly have done better on your own with a center punch and a step bit.

I don't know if it would be right for you to say, especially given that you've pasted an actual email into your post, but I wonder if it was someone else, other than Connie who replied to you. The suspicious part of me wants to think it was the dude who did the noob drill job. It's hard for me to believe that Connie would defend this. It honestly looks terrible. Way below what I would expect to be their standards. I've never ordered a pre-drilled case, but their parts and powder coating have always been excellent, with the one exception that they took care of.

Anyway, sorry you had a bad experience. I think you're probably the rare exception. Hopefully so, as I have parts incoming from them right now. My advice (for what it's worth) is that if Connie isn't the one you dealt with, address a new email to her and be sure to include that pic. If she was the one who sent you that ridiculous reply, then my opinion of PPP may have just slipped down a peg.

I included the same photo in the initial email as I did in the first post of this thread, and yes Connie replied to me, at least it was her email signature at the end.

It is actually my second order with them. My first was about 6 months ago, for some miscellaneous parts and a white powdercoated enclosure with 2 knobs for my Mangler build. Again, another stock drill template they list, yet it came back with an extra hole drilled in one side that wasn't part of the product description. I emailed photos, they agreed it was in error, and sent me a replacement with a shipping label in the box to return the incorrect one. Perfect customer service on a simple error. I know these things happen, which is why I didn't hesitate to order with them again. When I saw this one had issues I figured it would be a similar process, which is why I was so taken aback by the email I received.

jkokura

Quite frankly, I'm not seeing much wrong with the email response they gave you. It was courteous, and they offered you a solution. What else were you expecting? You can get a refund, so I don't understand your 'I'm never dealing with them again' stance. It's fine if that's what you want to do, but I don't see the rationale.

But you're upset over having a bad enclosure, so that must be taken into perspective. I hope that you'll feel better about the situation soon.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals