Main Menu

It might be time to admit I have a problem

Started by pickdropper, December 03, 2014, 04:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

peAk

Okay, .....sold out and bought some  Erem 2422E.

Used but from legit seller.

dadler

Quote from: pickdropper on March 15, 2015, 08:31:41 PM
Quote from: dadler on March 15, 2015, 07:22:11 PM
Erem 530E10 PCB cutter

Only one pair left at a good price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/one-pair-Anti-shock-PCB-Cutters-Erem-530E10-UP7B-/231241549857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d7120821

I have a pair of these.  Useful things and that is a good price.
Yeah Amazon wanted $80+. There were two left when I found the auction last night, so I bought one (probably should have bought both! Hehe).

blearyeyes

I have a pair of Tandy cutters that I bought over 25 years ago. I've been using them for guitar string cutting for a long time. Now I use them for electronics. This is what is possible. They are still working great! the last set I bought had gauge ratings and other bologna about how I could use them. Is there still a diagonal cutter  that justs cuts? 

chromesphere

I got mine on ebay au, there were 2 sellers,

One seller sells for 45 saying they are new (doubtful, but mine looked dam good condition)

The other sells second hand for $35 but I suspect the picture is worse then what you get

I'd suspect they are coming from ex-telecommunications or jewellery making demos / classes...not sure, but they are legit and in good nick (the first ones were atleast).
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

rullywowr

You guys are a bad influence on me.   ;D

Just picked up a pair of 2422E on eBay.  Used for $12.50, but what the hell...  Looking forward to checking these out.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

pickdropper

Quote from: dadler on March 15, 2015, 11:34:10 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on March 15, 2015, 08:31:41 PM
Quote from: dadler on March 15, 2015, 07:22:11 PM
Erem 530E10 PCB cutter

Only one pair left at a good price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/one-pair-Anti-shock-PCB-Cutters-Erem-530E10-UP7B-/231241549857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d7120821

I have a pair of these.  Useful things and that is a good price.
Yeah Amazon wanted $80+. There were two left when I found the auction last night, so I bought one (probably should have bought both! Hehe).

$80 is a bit steep for a single pair.  I have 3 different pair of PCB cutters and I didn't pay that much for all three of them combined and all were new. 

The erem one is nice as it has an adjustable stop so you don't mess up the blade.  It's different cutting motion so it takes a bit of getting used to.  The tip of the cutter faces the solder joint and it sheers the lead at a defined length.  It's useful for production work as it prevents you from cutting the lead too short, which can create stress on the joint.  At least that's what the smart industry folks say.
Function f(x)

rullywowr

I think I will love the erem cutters when they arrive. 

Not to derail this topic entirely...but on a similar theme, my favorite type of pliers to use when populating PCBs is a right angle needlenose similar to the picture below.   It is great when pulling leads through PCB holes or trying to grab switches etc.  I still use my right angle tweezers for most final wiring.

I was wondering if erem or another brand makes a "good" set of these right angle needle nose?  The ones I have are ok but it would be nice to have something similar in quality to the erem stuff.  Thanks!

pickdropper

The Erem pliers are nice, but not made for heavy duty use.  They are great for lead bending, however.

I don't know of any right angles versions, but I seem to recall seeing some from Lindstrom.  If not, Klein almost certainly makes some.  Klein isn't as high precision as Erem or Lindstrom, but that's less important for pliers than cutters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)

dadler

Not exactly the same, but I use these curved nose pliers all the time when populating PCBs: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UN8V7W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheap enough to be throw away and made in the USA. Not as nice as the high end brands but still good stuff.

rullywowr

Came home to find the Erem 2422E in my mailbox.  Holy @$($ these are awesome.  Got them "used" for $12.50 USD on eBay but they are like new.  Comparing them to my $4.00 Hakkos is not even a fair fight.  Highly recommended. 

Downsides so far...
1)  Have to learn the secret "Erem" owner's club fist bump
2)  All my other pliers/cutters feel like total crap now and I must replace them

micromegas

Aren't Erem tools made in Switzerland? my sister lives there... maybe I can try and see if they're cheaper there. Usually everything is more expensive, but with their taxes you never know..
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

peAk

Quote from: rullywowr on March 23, 2015, 02:40:59 PM
Came home to find the Erem 2422E in my mailbox.  Holy @$($ these are awesome.  Got them "used" for $12.50 USD on eBay but they are like new.  Comparing them to my $4.00 Hakkos is not even a fair fight.  Highly recommended. 

Downsides so far...
2)  All my other pliers/cutters feel like total crap now and I must replace them

same here, I think you and I might have got them from the same seller.

While they are awesome, there is no friggin way I would pay $60-$80 for them. Unless I was a pro like pickdropper. It's not like the same difference in a cheap soldering iron vs. a nice one where the difference is night and day.

pickdropper

Quote from: peAk on March 23, 2015, 04:12:45 PM
Quote from: rullywowr on March 23, 2015, 02:40:59 PM

Downsides so far...

same here, I think you and I might have got them from the same seller.

While they are awesome, there is no friggin way I would pay $60-$80 for them. Unless I was a pro like pickdropper. It's not like the same difference in a cheap soldering iron vs. a nice one where the difference is night and day.

Yeah, $80 is an awful lot for a pair of side cutters.  I have paid over $50 for them in the past, but now I tend to scout deals as I've got enough to last me for  a long time (maybe forever).

Glad you like them, Ben.  They certainly are a cut above the norm.  Har har.

Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: micromegas on March 23, 2015, 03:17:03 PM
Aren't Erem tools made in Switzerland? my sister lives there... maybe I can try and see if they're cheaper there. Usually everything is more expensive, but with their taxes you never know..

Yep, they are Swiss as is Lindstrom. 

Function f(x)