News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

It might be time to admit I have a problem

Started by pickdropper, December 03, 2014, 04:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: raulduke on December 12, 2014, 02:34:15 PM
This thread has finally persuaded me to get a proper set of cutters.

I have in the past bought cheap pairs and got rid as soon as they have blunted.

Getting a proper set should work out far more cost effective in the long run.

Yes, plus the drop forged ones can usually be resharpened 2-3 times before the edge gets too thin.  Resharpened is cheap (about 5 USD); the trick is finding a resharpener that will do one at a time.  The one I contacted wanted batches of 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

selfdestroyer

damn it.. I'm in.

just ordered a pair of Erem 2422E

Cody

Leevibe

Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 12, 2014, 06:52:19 PM
damn it.. I'm in.

Cody

Those do look sweet. Do they make a version with a return spring?

selfdestroyer

pickdropper

Quote from: Leevibe on December 12, 2014, 07:13:57 PM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 12, 2014, 06:52:19 PM
damn it.. I'm in.

Cody

Those do look sweet. Do they make a version with a return spring?

The spring is internal.  It works really nicely.

Be a bit careful with their pliers. They are nice, but their jaws don't open as wide as some others.  They do it on purpose for ergonomic reasons, but there are times it just doesn't work.  I do have a pair of their 542 flat bill pliers that are my favorite pliers for lead bending, but I can't use them for everything.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Well, I guess I may not be out of the woods yet.

Erem Oblique Cutter (didn't have one of these yet).  Found a great deal on a NIB one

Erem 0.8mm PCB cutter.  This was NIB and really cheap (under $10) based on the 80's style Sci-Fi font on the box, I think this has been sitting around for a while.

Function f(x)

Hogharry

Quote from: alanp on December 12, 2014, 02:52:29 PM
The Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness only works if you buy ONE pair of $50 boots.
Good point. I believe the Captain/Commander/insert_rank_here also noticed that the rich got richer because they had houses full of stuff, so they never needed to buy things. This is where a dynasty begins - generations of Pickdroppers will never need to buy cutters!
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

dadler

Quote from: pickdropper on December 11, 2014, 10:23:41 PM
Let me know what you think of the cutters.  Hopefully you like them.

Got them in the mail-These cutters are amazing. The spring pressure is perfectly consistent throughout the range of motion (hard to describe), and there is a definite stop at full-close and full-open. It just *feels* nice to use these things. Same feeling I get when I use my snap-on stuff.  :D

pickdropper

Fantastic!  I am glad you like them.

It sounds silly to get excited about side cutters, but if you do a lot of electronics work, it's really nice to have good quality cutters.

Function f(x)

selfdestroyer

I am super happy with mine also. I love a good tool, for sure. I want to pick up a pair of needle nose next.

Cody

pickdropper

Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 18, 2014, 08:36:31 PM
I am super happy with mine also. I love a good tool, for sure. I want to pick up a pair of needle nose next.

Cody

I like the pliers for certain things, but the "ergonomic" jaws don't open as wide as some others and the jaws can bend if you try to use them for hard things like SS wire.

But they are fantastic for lead bending and wire bending.  I would just keep a backup set of throw down pliers for rough materials.

Function f(x)

selfdestroyer

Quote from: pickdropper on December 18, 2014, 08:52:16 PM

Cody

I like the pliers for certain things, but the "ergonomic" jaws don't open as wide as some others and the jaws can bend if you try to use them for hard things like SS wire.

But they are fantastic for lead bending and wire bending.  I would just keep a backup set of throw down pliers for rough materials.

Great info thanks.

Cody

pickdropper

Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 18, 2014, 08:53:19 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on December 18, 2014, 08:52:16 PM

Cody

Great info thanks.

Cody

To clarify a bit, my Erem 542 pliers might be my favorite pliers.  They are small and great for electronics work.  At work, I have a pair of Erem 2422p and Erem 2411p pliers and I don't like those quite as much.  They are longer and I find the jaw opening a bit too narrow for some things I want to do and they are a bit big for precision work (at least to me).  At home, I have a pair of Klein pliers I use for anything that might damage my Erem 542 pliers and those work fine.
Function f(x)

dadler

Cody

I am pretty happy with my Xcelites, for pliers at least. Not as nice as the Erems, but still made in the USA and high quality. I think Apex tool group owns all thse brands now, Xcelite, Erem, Weller, Crescent, Wiss, etc. Although most of the sub-brands seem to be relatively autonomous and have maintained quality for the most part.

Anyways, for electronics pliers I have the following, which I use all the time:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UN8R1W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UN9THI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UN8V7W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UN9TY6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UNFE9U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UN8UNW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UNG83G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1