News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

It might be time to admit I have a problem

Started by pickdropper, December 03, 2014, 04:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I've long been a fan of good tools.  A few years ago, I got a good pair of side cutters and it was sort of a revelation for me compared to the junk ones I've been using for years.

This year, my trusty Erem 2432E pliers needed to go back to the manufacturer for a spring change (although they just ended up giving me a new set).  While they were away, I decided I needed a backup.  That let to this:

Believe it or not, everything in the above photo is different  (and awesome!).

These are just the side cutters, not pliers.  So as not to completely expose my insanity, I didn't show any of the backups that I have to the cutters in the picture.   :o

The different geometries make them useful for so many different things that they all have a place in assembly for me.  I've been digging the PCB cutters, which trim the leads and leave exactly 0.040" of exposed lead.  In the past, I've had a tendency to cut the leads too short and this helps me avoid that.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

micromegas

I laughed for a while, then I went to amazon and saw the price of those... that's over 200$ in side cutters!  :o
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

pickdropper

Quote from: micromegas on December 03, 2014, 04:39:32 PM
I laughed for a while, then I went to amazon and saw the price of those... that's over 200$ in side cutters!  :o

Actually, at full price, those 8 pairs would be well over $500-600 dollars.
Function f(x)

micromegas

Quote from: pickdropper on December 03, 2014, 04:40:54 PM

I want your job... and your cutters. :)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

Quote from: micromegas on December 03, 2014, 04:43:08 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on December 03, 2014, 04:40:54 PM

I want your job... and your cutters. :)

Well, I didn't pay anywhere near full price for most of them.  I found deals where they could be had.
Function f(x)

selfdestroyer

First step is admitting you have a problem. Next step is hiding it from others so you can continue. Let me be "that guy" to tell you that you need a few more pairs. Lol

Cody

pickdropper

Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 03, 2014, 05:10:01 PM
First step is admitting you have a problem. Next step is hiding it from others so you can continue. Let me be "that guy" to tell you that you need a few more pairs. Lol

Cody

Already have my eye on another type  Hehe

All kidding aside, these high precision cutters really are much nicer.  8 different types isn't necessary, but they are worth the cost.  I paid $60 for my first set and never looked back.
Function f(x)

culturejam

And he's trying to get me hooked as well. Bastard sent me a pair of those not that long ago.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

The first one is free......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)

cooder

"Hi My name is Dave and I do overdose on sidecutters and things..."
(nodding chorus and mumbling from the group... "hello Dave, welcome to the group"...) ;)

Nice problem to have... nice tools they are! :)
BigNoise Amplification

pickdropper

Quote from: cooder on December 03, 2014, 06:17:29 PM
"Hi My name is Dave and I do overdose on sidecutters and things..."
(nodding chorus and mumbling from the group... "hello Dave, welcome to the group"...) ;)

Nice problem to have... nice tools they are! :)

"My name is Dave and I have a problem.  Let me cut to the quick......."
Function f(x)

GermanCdn

You're not alone my friend.

Good sidecutters are an invaluable tool.  I started out with a good quality pair of general purpose mini side cutters (i.e. not specifically for electrical components).  They worked OK.  Since then, I've gone with micro cutters from Crescent, Xcelite, Hakko and a few others.

My current arsenal is three Hakko cutters (micro, small, and medium), a flush cut pair of Crescents, a heavy duty generic set and a heavy duty flush set.  I use each one for different purposes (i.e. the heavy duties for cutting off tabs/socket pins, micros for resistors, mediums for wire and bigger diodes, etc).

One piece of advice for all - NEVER, EVER, EVER reach for your pedal building pliers when you're restringing your guitar in a pinch.  One cut will ruin a good set.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

Interesting. Are your Hakko cutters forged or stamped?  Mine are cheap stamped cutters and are the disposable pair I use for things I don't care about.  Perhaps they have a higher end line I don't know about.

Mine look like this:

And yes, you are totally right; don't cut guitar strings with cutters unless they are hardened.  The nicer ones I have are precision cutters made for for soft metals.

I highly recommend you try a set of Erems or Lindstroms.  Excelta makes some decent ones as well, but they vary.  They are usually a cut above (pun intended) the Cresecent, Xcelites and Hakkos.
Function f(x)

GrindCustoms

Quote from: culturejam on December 03, 2014, 05:27:59 PM
And he's trying to get me hooked as well. Bastard sent me a pair of those not that long ago.  ;D

Quote from: pickdropper on December 03, 2014, 05:33:15 PM
The first one is free......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He did the same thing with me...  :o 8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/