News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

It might be time to admit I have a problem

Started by pickdropper, December 03, 2014, 04:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Got a problem with my 2422e's :(

Was cutting through a trimpot leg, the economy tayda type.  When the blades made the cut, they must of hit each other and now are way out of alignment.  No amount of stuffing about with the nuts can get them straight again (unless im missing something?).

Anyone know how to realign the blades?  Seems like as soon as i make the last turn on either of the 2 nuts to tighten the blades, they go out of alignment again (and when they are even slightly out, they dont cut!)

Thanks for any help!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

davent

I felt your heart sinking, a tremor in the force... sorry i can't offer any advice but know the feeling...
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

If you bought them new, contact Erem.  I sent one back after having it for years and they replaced it free of charge.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

pickdropper

Can you take a picture?  I've seen pairs chip because they were used to cut harder metals (bad idea) or were used to pry something (even worse idea) but I haven't seen that type of misalignment yet.  I am not sure I can help, but I'd like to see the problem.

I know when people sharpen them, they carefully put them on a mill and machine them.  Depending on how bad it is, you might be able to find a resharpener who can do that.

The unfortunate thing with second hand cutters is that they may have been resharpened once or more times.  Erem says they can be resharpened two or three times, but after that the metal is thin enough that it is compromised.  It's possible that's what happened with your pair (although I have no idea if that's the case).  I've purchased second hand cutters that have obviously been resharpened.  One pair of Excelta cutters broke with very little use, likely because the metal was compromised at the cutting area.
Function f(x)

chromesphere

I have a feeling this guys selling / refurbing them.  A trimpot leg is a bit tough, but im shocked at how little effort it took to break them.

lol thats got to be the most awesome random moody photo i think ive ever taken.  Although, ive been a bit moody since they busted so...

You can see there, they are missing by a long shot.  Dont worry about that blue stuff around the nut.  That was my attempt at trying to STOP the blade from passing the other as i tightened the nut.  They just dont line up!   Maybe i can find a washer or something to use as a spacer...kills me to do it but they are pretty well bin worthy at the moment.  Even then, dont think i could accurate space it so they line up properly...

alanp

That's one good thing about my cheapo sidecutters that I use for everything from toenails to wires to SMD packaging, they're practically made of mithril as far as indestructibility goes
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Haberdasher

it might be time for me to admit that i believe i can get by just fine with my $10 plato flush cutters and the Stanley mini pliers set i bought around 7 years ago at walmart. ;)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

chromesphere

Spent hours trying to get those blades lined  up.  Contacted the ebay seller, making it his problem.  I dont believe that i have mishandled them.  A trimpot leg...seriously...

pickdropper

I can't remember seeing anything like that before on a pair of these (and I've seen a lot of them).  Usually, if the blades hit each other too hard or cut something too hard the blade is nicked.  Something went seriously wrong for such a misalignment to happen.  Was the cutting action loose at that point?  The only thing I can think of is that there is something off about the assembly.  The only other explanation I can think of is that they are bent, but these are really hard; they usually chip before bending.  Of course, if they were resharpened I suppose the metal could be thin enough to bend.

Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on April 12, 2015, 04:36:27 AM
That's one good thing about my cheapo sidecutters that I use for everything from toenails to wires to SMD packaging, they're practically made of mithril as far as indestructibility goes

I've had more cheap side cutters fail on me than expensive ones.  The stamped blades can chip fairly easily.  The key with the expensive ones is to get them rated for what you are cutting.  I'd still like to pickup a pair of carbide cutters but I've put it off because they are quite expensive for an occasional use tool.

Function f(x)

chromesphere

Bizarre hah!?  Its almost like...when the blades were flash, they weren't in their natural position.  Took little encouragement to knock them out of wack. 

When i cut through the trimpot leg i was using a bit more then normal force, admittedly, albeit only slightly.  It made the cut, then one blade went up the side of the other.  Now there is no way to get them back to alignment position again...bent maybe?  Seriously though the 'force' wasn't that much, imagine cutting 3 x 1n4001 legs at once, approximately.  I'd classify this particular set of cutters as fragile. 

Their going back, this guy can give me a new pair / refund. 

pickdropper

What kind of trimpot was it?  Cutting 3 x 1n4001 simultaneously would require a decent amount of force.  I wouldn't expect that to break them, but it's more than a standard lead cut.

It's hard to say if it's the fault of the seller.  It sounds like a bit of bad luck on a used tool.  I would ask him if they've been resharpened and if so, how many times.

Function f(x)

chromesphere

one of these: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/potentiometer-variable-resistors/trimmers/6mm-top-adjustment.html

I dont believe that these side cutters could become strap metal from cutting a leg of one of these trimmers.  Anyway, ill send them back and the seller can check them / fix / refund or whatever he feels like.  Its back to my old $5 set in the meantime...which mind you, has no issues cutting those trimmer legs...

pickdropper

Quote from: chromesphere on April 12, 2015, 09:40:32 PM
one of these: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/potentiometer-variable-resistors/trimmers/6mm-top-adjustment.html

I dont believe that these side cutters could become strap metal from cutting a leg of one of these trimmers.  Anyway, ill send them back and the seller can check them / fix / refund or whatever he feels like.  Its back to my old $5 set in the meantime...which mind you, has no issues cutting those trimmer legs...

Yeah, I wouldn't expect those legs to cause an issue.  They might be a bit thicker than is ideal for precision cutters, but I've cut things like that with mine without an issue.  They are rated to cut metals a bit over 1mm as long as it's soft (like component leads).

The beater cutters are great to have around for some of the heavier duty things.  It damages them, but it doesn't matter because you can replace them cheaply.
Function f(x)