Main Menu

It might be time to admit I have a problem

Started by pickdropper, December 03, 2014, 04:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Quote from: pickdropper on March 23, 2015, 04:21:13 PM

Quote from: peAk on March 23, 2015, 04:12:45 PM
Quote from: rullywowr on March 23, 2015, 02:40:59 PM
Came home to find the Erem 2422E in my mailbox.  Holy @$($ these are awesome.  Got them "used" for $12.50 USD on eBay but they are like new.  Comparing them to my $4.00 Hakkos is not even a fair fight.  Highly recommended. 

Downsides so far...
1)  Have to learn the secret "Erem" owner's club fist bump
2)  All my other pliers/cutters feel like total crap now and I must replace them

same here, I think you and I might have got them from the same seller.

While they are awesome, there is no friggin way I would pay $60-$80 for them. Unless I was a pro like pickdropper. It's not like the same difference in a cheap soldering iron vs. a nice one where the difference is night and day.

Yeah, $80 is an awful lot for a pair of side cutters.  I have paid over $50 for them in the past, but now I tend to scout deals as I've got enough to last me for  a long time (maybe forever).

Glad you like them, Ben.  They certainly are a cut above the norm.  Har har.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, they are really nice and I am glad you mentioned them here. I am just glad they sell second hand cheap for us non-pro guys  :D

rullywowr

Quote from: pickdropper on March 23, 2015, 04:21:13 PM

Glad you like them, Ben.  They certainly are a cut above the norm.  Har har.

I like the "cut" of your jib.   ;)

With all the $$ I "saved", I ordered a pair of Lindstrom bent nose pliers.  These look great, just wondering if they will be grippy enough to pull leads through holes as they are smooth (no serrations) in the jaws.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

rullywowr

Thanks to PickDropper and everyone I am very happy with these :)

Erem 2422E cutters
Erem 530e PCB cutters
Lindstrom 7892 bent nose smooth jaw pliers

I think my favorite is the 2422E. Incredible action.  The PCB cutters are nice to get everything the same length. Lastly, the Lindstrom pliers are a huge upgrade and are awesome for pulling leads through holes or grabbing on to a small part or wire. I can't believe I waited so long to get some nicer tools - they just make the task so much more enjoyable.

pickdropper

Right on, Ben.  Nice, useful collection there.

The 530 PCB cutters take a bit of getting used to, but they are great for production work.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

Can i get a fast resume of what the pcb cutters could do for me?
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

peAk

Excuse this  ignorant question, but the top pair with the 90 bent tip, what are those for?

rullywowr

Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 01, 2015, 01:07:39 AM
Can i get a fast resume of what the pcb cutters could do for me?

They allow you to cut the leads of through hole components all the same length. Not too long and not too short.

Before cutting

Cut long EDIT: This step is optional...you can skip right to the PCB cutters..

Cut with PCB cutters

peAk

Ahhh.....nice.

Thanks for the quality pics.

chromesphere

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

rullywowr

Quote from: peAk on April 01, 2015, 01:44:46 AM
Excuse this  ignorant question, but the top pair with the 90 bent tip, what are those for?

They are bent nose pliers.  I love them and use them pretty much exclusively when working with PCBs.  Bent nose allows you to tuck wires underneath, hold on to parts at a different angle, and pull leads through PCBs.  Kind of like bent nose tweezers...indispensable.  I was afraid these were going to slip as they are smooth jaw but they work fantastic.   Here are my old cheap pair I used for a long time next to the new ones: 

I also like to use full size ones when working on my vehicles...awesome for taking off spring hose clamps and the like. ;)

Here's an action shot:

I suppose tweezers also do the trick ;)

GrindCustoms

That means one added handling.... not convincing me....

I think you can have an enough steady hand to not over-short the lead or cut through the solder bell.

Too fancy for me! But i could'nt live without my 2422E tho....

I also fancy bent long nose for working in the pedals that matched with small O-Ring tools... full handling over any wire or when working wires from under the pcb.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

chromesphere

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

rullywowr

Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 01, 2015, 01:53:47 AM

I think you can have an enough steady hand to not over-short the lead or cut through the solder bell.

I also fancy bent long nose for working in the pedals that matched with small O-Ring tools... full handling over any wire or when working wires from under the pcb.

Actually, this is my first time with these.  Apparently they work just fine without cutting the lead before hand...still getting used to them.  I do love my 2422E though!

pickdropper

Quote from: rullywowr on April 01, 2015, 03:05:35 AM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 01, 2015, 01:53:47 AM

Actually, this is my first time with these.  Apparently they work just fine without cutting the lead before hand...still getting used to them.  I do love my 2422E though!

Yeah, you don't need to cut twice.  It a bit strange cutting perpendicular to the normal cutting operation, but you get used to it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

I thought the pcb cutters were for cutting the leads (when through the pcb) before you soldered the lead to the pcb, ?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?