News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

It might be time to admit I have a problem

Started by pickdropper, December 03, 2014, 04:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

Yeah, I'd say you have a problem. An affliction I could easily share! I resolve to stick to my Klein cutter/strippers and Xcelite sidecutters.

wgc

I have a set of lindstroms from 15 years ago. Awesome stuff.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

alanp

I use my pair of sidecutters for EVERYTHING. Cutting wire, trimming toenails, taking the little squares off OSH boards, taking the tabs off Alpha pots, trimming guitar headstocks  :P ... I used to use them for stripping as well until I unclenched my wallet and bought some strippers.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on December 04, 2014, 04:21:08 AM
I use my pair of sidecutters for EVERYTHING. Cutting wire, trimming toenails, taking the little squares off OSH boards, taking the tabs off Alpha pots, trimming guitar headstocks  :P ... I used to use them for stripping as well until I unclenched my wallet and bought some strippers.

I am fascinated at the possible process of trimming a guitar headstock with side cutters.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lars

Being addicted to quality tools isn't a problem...it's an inspiration. :)

blearyeyes

I bought a pair of diagonal cutters 40 years ago and cut strings and wires with them all this time. They are still the best I have.. What happened?

juansolo

Good side cutters are one of the keys to happiness in this hobby (along with a clean tip). I use some cheap-ish ones that are about £10 a pop. As soon as I get a sniff that they're getting blunt, I get another set.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

miter53

Now look what you've done...buying toys for myself instead of the family!
"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/

dadler

Out of all those pictured, which ones do you use the most?

I've gone through several pairs of those stamped CHP-170 side cutters (and one pair came with my Hakko iron), and they work ok until they get dull. And then I just buy another for $5.

But I love good tools as well- so If you had to just have *one* pair of high-end side cutters, which one in particular would it be?

pickdropper

Quote from: dadler on December 11, 2014, 10:12:25 AM
Out of all those pictured, which ones do you use the most?

I've gone through several pairs of those stamped CHP-170 side cutters (and one pair came with my Hakko iron), and they work ok until they get dull. And then I just buy another for $5.

But I love good tools as well- so If you had to just have *one* pair of high-end side cutters, which one in particular would it be?

Of all of them, the Erem 2422E and 776E get the most use.  The 2422E is more standard size with an oval head.  The 776E is very small and has a tapered relieved head.  If I were to recommend one, I think the 2422E would probably be a good choice as an all around cutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: miter53 on December 11, 2014, 07:44:03 AM
Now look what you've done...buying toys for myself instead of the family!

Very cool.  Excelta makes some nice stuff.  I hope you like it.

Function f(x)

Govmnt_Lacky

I have used the same pair of side cutters since I started building about 8-9 years ago! I still use the same pair.

Why the need for so many different pairs of cutters? Is there an advantage?

Mich P

Quote from: pickdropper on December 03, 2014, 07:15:07 PM
Interesting. Are your Hakko cutters forged or stamped?  Mine are cheap stamped cutters and are the disposable pair I use for things I don't care about.  Perhaps they have a higher end line I don't know about.

Mine look like this:

And yes, you are totally right; don't cut guitar strings with cutters unless they are hardened.  The nicer ones I have are precision cutters made for for soft metals.

I highly recommend you try a set of Erems or Lindstroms.  Excelta makes some decent ones as well, but they vary.  They are usually a cut above (pun intended) the Cresecent, Xcelites and Hakkos.

I have the same one that you Pickdropper
and it does the job really well.
Mich P.

pickdropper

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 11, 2014, 01:09:42 PM
I have used the same pair of side cutters since I started building about 8-9 years ago! I still use the same pair.

Why the need for so many different pairs of cutters? Is there an advantage?

Well, I will be the first to admit that there is a little bit of lunacy involved with this.

But there are some advantages.  Small, tapered relieved head cutters can get into much tighter spaces.  Oblique cutters can cut top down, which can help if there are tall components around the leads you want to cut.  PCB cutters trim leads to a defined length (.030 or .040 usually) which help if you are trying to conform to IPC standards.  Angled cutters can also be useful at times.  Super flush can help if you want to trim something is close as possible.

You can usually do what you need to do with one good set of cutters.  Most folks here have learned or will learn to angle standard cutters to make them work and it's fine.  The other, more specific cutters make certain cuts easier to make, which is especially helpful when you are building a lot.  Not absolutely necessary, but helpful.

The only exception I'd list are the PCB cutters.  I have difficulty cutting to a specific lead length when cutting with side cutters.  The top cutting PCB cutters are more accurate than me.  That could simply my be my own personal failing, however.

Function f(x)