News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAGD

Started by irmcdermott, November 28, 2014, 02:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

Actually got this last week, but life has been crazy. Picked up a Martin D-17M, and I am in love. I nice acoustic was the one thing missing in my "collection." This guitar exceeds everything that I wanted in an acoustic. I love it.

pickdropper

Very very nice.  A good Martin is a wonderful thing.

A few years ago, I ran into a '63 Martin D18 at a guitar show that I absolutely fell in love with.  I couldn't justify the $3.5k price tag, so I didn't go home with it.  I still feel that it was the one that got away.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

Really nice addition Ian!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

irmcdermott

Thanks guys. I picked it up from Sweetwater (after playing one at a Guitar Center... i really love Sweetwater, haha) and had them install a LR Baggs Lyric pickup in it, as well as a second strap button on the heal. I know I could have easily done it myself, but it was worth the extra $90 installation fee for me to not have to take a drill to a new guitar, haha. Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet, but I'm going to plug it in and do some recording just to test it out.

Really looking forward to growing old with this one.

RobA

Nice!
Quote from: pickdropper on November 28, 2014, 02:37:17 PM
Very very nice.  A good Martin is a wonderful thing.

A few years ago, I ran into a '63 Martin D18 at a guitar show that I absolutely fell in love with.  I couldn't justify the $3.5k price tag, so I didn't go home with it.  I still feel that it was the one that got away.
My lost guitar opportunity was a Martin too. I had it on layaway when I was 18. It took me a year to pay it off. When I went to pick it up, it had split straight down the fretboard. I was so depressed. It was the only one I've ever heard that sounded like it -- very mellow and almost like it had a light phase shifter on it.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Leevibe

Congrats! She's a beauty. I have a Lyric in my Guild that I run through a Venue DI. I love it BUT I have to ruthlessly scoop the mids to get close to my unplugged tone, and I have the treble trimmer dialed way back. To the point that I've wondered if my mic is out of spec. Even with that, I'd never go back to a piezo. The mic is so much more dynamic and it keeps my guitar sounding like my guitar. I'll be curious to know how you like yours once you get used to it.

irmcdermott

Quote from: Leevibe on November 28, 2014, 03:53:28 PM
Congrats! She's a beauty. I have a Lyric in my Guild that I run through a Venue DI. I love it BUT I have to ruthlessly scoop the mids to get close to my unplugged tone, and I have the treble trimmer dialed way back. To the point that I've wondered if my mic is out of spec. Even with that, I'd never go back to a piezo. The mic is so much more dynamic and it keeps my guitar sounding like my guitar. I'll be curious to know how you like yours once you get used to it.

I have heard about the mids issue, so we'll see. I'll just be plugging it in when I play at church (that's the majority of my live playing these days) or banging out worktapes/demos. I'll probably just mic it when i do real recording, and obviously just unplugged when I get together with the guys that I write with.

raulduke

YES!

Absolutely beautiful.

I have my eyes on a D15M as a Chrimbo present to myself.

lars

That's good. It's very, very good.

irmcdermott

I also played the D15 and almost went with it. I really liked the slightly more mellow feel of the all mahogany body. The D17 is solid 'hog on back and sides, but has a Sitka spruce top, so it's a little brighter (but not Taylor bright). I'm sure you will love the 15. I went back and forth for a long time.

selfdestroyer

I love the finish on that Martin. Great looking guitar.

Cody