News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any tips on Heat Shrink?

Started by blearyeyes, November 28, 2014, 06:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

I just bought a hot air gun and heat shrink tubing... before I melt something anyone have any experience tips?

Leevibe

Like with soldering, get in and out quick if you can. You don't want to melt the stuff around where you're working. Having said that, it's pretty easy. Just point the heat gun at it and watch it shrink.

alanp

I usually use my helping hands thing to hold the piece steady. Haven't burnt myself, but I've no wish to find out if it is hot enough.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peterc

In my experience, dont get too close or heat up the heatshrink too quickly. If too much heat is applied, the shrink can become hard, shiny and inflexible.

I use an old paint stripper and warm from about a foot away, takes a bit longer but the shrink stays bendy and does not get a hard shiny finish to it.

Peter
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

RobA

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Matt

Is it bad that I just use a lighter?
Matt

davent

I usually do a couple quick heat and cool cycles, i don't try to get the complete shrink in one heating attack.

I like the double wall stuff with adhesive.

For cables and the like i find it best to stand the heat gun on a table and hold & manipulate the part over the heat gun nozzle.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

Quote from: Matt on November 28, 2014, 02:50:15 PM

I used to just use either that or the barrel of the soldering iron, but a proper hot air gun works MUCH, MUCH better. Like writing with a stick of charcoal compared to a proper Bic.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

playpunk

Where do you guys source good heat shrink? I have some cheesy Home Depot heat shrink on my DIY cables, but I want some better stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

alanp

Picked up enough to last years from Ideal Electrical. They're a trade shop, but they sell to the public. Small Bear also sell small-gauge heatshrink, IIRC.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

gordo

Nope, but the heat gun keeps it from discoloring or going black.

If you use a heat gun keep it moving and get to about 3 or 4 inches from the shrink.  My gun is right beside my work bench so for the few times I need it, it's within easy reach.  I've had good luck buying the heat shrink kits from Harbor Freight here in the US.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

electrosonic

Probably not the cheapest way to stock your heat shrink. But convenient and nicely packaged.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=70662&cat=1,43456

Andrew

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Willybomb

I tried a hairdryer last time on.. something... might been the Boneyard, and I just succeeded in getting the enclosure hot and softening the finish.  I went back to using the side of my soldering iron, which ends up leaving crap on the heatsink..

RobA

I used to use the side of my iron too, but when I got my decent iron and decided I shouldn't abuse it any more I finally bought the $15 heat gun that I'd had sitting in my cart at Amazon for around two years. It's well worth the minimal cash outlay. Lately, I've been rolling a whole bunch of LED/LDR combos for testing. Having the heat gun makes it infinitely easier and the results are really good.

The air stream on my heat gun is a lot tighter than a hairdryer, so minimizing collateral damage is easier.

(If, you haven't read the link to the Sparkfun heat gun manual I put in my response above, do. It's the best manual I've ever seen.)
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).