News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MN3008 -> Spot the odd one out

Started by chromesphere, November 27, 2014, 01:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey guys,
Tested a bunch of mn3008's for the webstore, which are now in stock again. 
Just wondering if anyway can tell me, from this photo why the one with the arrow is different from the rest? 
First I was like :o then I was like  8)

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Hangingmonkey

Because you got lucky and it turned out to be a 3005?

chromesphere

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on November 27, 2014, 01:10:56 AM
Because you got lucky and it turned out to be a 3005?

BANG!

It honestly sounds like 600ms (4 times longer then the others).

playpunk

Is that one going to be randomly included like a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket?
"my legend grows" - playpunk

cooder

Sweet! I'll take that then for the normal 3008 price please.... ;) Ordered....!
BigNoise Amplification

chromesphere

Quote from: cooder on November 27, 2014, 01:19:48 AM
Sweet! I'll take that then for the normal 3008 price please.... ;) Ordered....!

lol!  I was waiting for suggestions like this :D

I see this as the universe balancing itself out.  I bought 2 mn3005's that were dead late last year.

Thanks universe. ;-) You got my back

pickdropper

There is a little part of me that is curious how a lot of the sellers of these chips (especially from Asia) end up with all of the chips being from the same date codes.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

pickdropper

Quote from: chromesphere on November 27, 2014, 06:35:57 AM
Bulk NOS?

Basically that would be the only explanation if the chips are legit.  They found a stash of parts from a single run. 

It's weird, I've seen it across multiple sellers, which gives me the willies.  But I know that you test them and have found them to be good, so it must be weird luck.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lincolnic

Quote from: pickdropper on November 27, 2014, 06:49:56 AM
Bulk NOS?

Basically that would be the only explanation if the chips are legit.  They found a stash of parts from a single run. 

It's weird, I've seen it across multiple sellers, which gives me the willies.  But I know that you test them and have found them to be good, so it must be weird luck.

My order from that eBay seller a bunch of us ordered from (can't remember their name now) also all shared the same date codes. I haven't been able to test mine -- was waiting for the Dirtbag 3 to drop -- but has anyone else who ordered from their second round of stock experienced this? Confirmed good? I know everyone who ordered chips before they ran out of stock the first time had good luck, but I don't think I saw anyone who ordered after the restock say anything either way.

lars

I sat there and stared at the picture for a long time wondering what the difference was. Different font? Lower-case "N"? Different number of pins? Sanded? Then I felt stupid not guessing the easy one :-\

I wonder if a lot of these vintage BBDs simply were labeled with what was printing at the time. "A couple extra MN3005s? Oh, well, we're running MN3008s, just push 'em through". I'm still waiting for someone to start remanufacturing SAD1024s. I think the farther we get from those, the more we realize what an amazing chip it was. Grab up those MN3001s while you still can, it's all we have left from that "era"!

Scruffie

Bulk NOS?
All re-stamped, check the bottoms, it's easy enough to spot the difference between the old heavy black silicon and more modern chips (yet the fronts look uniform) and that's the answer as to why you got one that's actually a 3005, re-stamped with the wrong part number, same thing happened to me a while back.

As far as I know, NOS MN3008 never actually looked like the parts you have there.

Quote from: lars on November 27, 2014, 07:02:49 AM
Grab up those MN3001s while you still can, it's all we have left from that "era"!
That's terrible advice, there's relatively few of those chips available as they were retired for the lower noise parts quite early on and all that does is reduce the small quantity out there for repairs... plus they're not much use to most people anyway, unless they have an eventide flanger.
Works at Lectric-FX

RobA

Quote from: Scruffie on November 27, 2014, 11:24:00 AM
Bulk NOS?
All re-stamped, check the bottoms, it's easy enough to spot the difference between the old heavy black silicon and more modern chips (yet the fronts look uniform) and that's the answer as to why you got one that's actually a 3005, re-stamped with the wrong part number, same thing happened to me a while back.

As far as I know, NOS MN3008 never actually looked like the parts you have there.
So they take stock they obtain somewhere, strip them, and remark them with a new printing so they all match? Weird, these things are rare enough now that it doesn't seem like that's going to raise the value.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Scruffie

Quote from: RobA on November 27, 2014, 11:36:06 AM
Quote from: Scruffie on November 27, 2014, 11:24:00 AM
Bulk NOS?

So they take stock they obtain somewhere, strip them, and remark them with a new printing so they all match? Weird, these things are rare enough now that it doesn't seem like that's going to raise the value.
I don't think it's to raise the value, I think it's to make it so the part is "New (unused)" on the ebay listing so people trust it more I guess?

Or so that it blends in when they run out of real chips and send out fakes, the same thing happened with the 3005s people were getting a few years back.

Plus, each part looks exactly like your photo, where as MN3008 vary in style.
Works at Lectric-FX

RobA

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).