News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

building a wah pedal?

Started by aran.e666, November 26, 2014, 10:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

Look up joe gagen for a pot and inductor.  Great stuff.

You could also try inductorless, like color sound inductorless wah
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jball85

Quote from: aran.e666 on November 29, 2014, 10:23:44 AM
I also forgot to add, the two blue circles on the crybaby schematic, what are they? Thanks

Aran

Those circles, if I'm understanding the question correctly, are polarized electrolytic capacitors. The large circle/cap at the top is a 220uf capacitor. The smaller cap near the bottom is a 4.7uf capacitor. The stripe at the bottom of each circle indicates the negative lead or cathode.

jball85

aran.e666

Thanks for the reply, but im talking about if you look around the middle, behing the links there are two mini blue circles with white holes in the middle. Thanks

Aran
Guitar is love, guitar is life.

aran.e666

Also I forgot to ask, if the pot only has 1 and 2 wah wires going to it, is the 3rd wire ground?

Stomptown

I'm not too sure but I am wondering if the mini blue circles are associated with the output of the circuit. This layout is a buffered cry baby so I think you are supposed to run wires from the mini blue circles to the outer lugs of the SPDT (or DPDT if you need led) switch and another wire from the center lug to the output jack.  If you noticed, the output wire is blue and matched the color if the circles, which would make sense. If you were planning to build a true bypass wah, we will need to find you the simplified true bypass version of the circuit. I personally don't like true bypass wahs for various reasons, mainly the fact that 3pdts are not quite long enough and make it hard to engage the effect. However, you may find a good dpdt that would work for true bypass assuming you do not need to use an led.

Again, I'm not totally sure on out those circles. Is anyone else familiar with them?

aran.e666

First off now that does kind of make sense but im using a spdt and well... about building a true bypass circuit... ive already built the crybaby so yeah but I think I know what you mean so what il do is hook it up when I get the inductor and trannies and than if it dosent work il use your idea and see if that works. Thanks again

Aran

Stomptown

No problem. When I get to my computer I'm going to look a little closer to see where the blue circles tap into the circuit. While I do think they have to do with the buffered bypass I don't think my wiring suggestion is quite right.

aran.e666

Well in my opinion that was truly a great idea because I guess it makes sense. Also what should go to pin 3 on the 100k pot? Thanks

Aran

Stomptown

I just noticed the layout lists "14 cuts and 8 links" but if you look at the layout there are only 6 jumpers! This seems to indicate the mini blue circles are supposed to be electrically connected to the overlying jumpers, hence 8 links! If you follow the schematic and compare to the layout it makes sense. I just didn't see it at first. You will need to tie the mini blue circle pads into your jumpers if you already soldered them in place.

Also, pin 3 goes to the output but we need to sort out the buffered bypass switching before we know if it goes to the switch or directly to the output jack.

aran.e666

Thanks. I didnt know that! Also it already has an output wire so im not sure? Thank you

Aran

Stomptown

Yeah, I will dig a little more but my guess is that these two wires connect to the outer SPDT lugs and the middle lug connects to the output jack.

aran.e666

Yeah awesome let me know if you find anything else on the wiring or how I should wire the bypass. Thanks

Aran

aran.e666

By the way how would I join the links when Iive allready soldered the links in allready? Thanks

Aran

aran.e666