News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

building a wah pedal?

Started by aran.e666, November 26, 2014, 10:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aran.e666

hi all, i haven't  had time to post in a very long time because i have beed busy with work and lots of guitar builds  8) but i know this is the best place for help on pedals. ok so my target is very simple-take a basic wah vero layout, build it and make a wooden pivoting enclosure thing to activate the wah wah effect, but anyways theres a few problems. 1. it shows 16uf capacitors and i cannot find them anywhere at all like no where that would be small enough, also im not sure what type of capacitors the 10nf capacitors would be and what type the 16uf caps would have to be. any advice would be great-im not sure if this is the right place to post this build but any advice would be hugely appreciated so i can finally make my dream (well, some cheap wooden) wah pedal. thanks

aran.
Guitar is love, guitar is life.

jball85

This isn't your run of the mill wah. You could use 22uf electrolytic (usually polarized) caps in place of the 16uf's. The 10nf's ( .01uf ) should be film box capacitors (non-polarized). There are links on the project's page for stores, where you can buy these caps.

Stomptown

You could also go with 15uF tantulum caps in place of the 16uFs.  You can grab those at Small Bear IIRC.  Like Jball stated, this does not look like a run of the mill wah project.  If thats whay you are after you may want to look for a different project.

Jon

aran.e666

Thank you all for the helpful replys but I cant find abyvwah pedal schematics that are controlled by p foot pedal
Thanks

Aran

aran.e666

aran.e666

also i forgot to say that when i look i cannot find any schematics on vero that use a foot pedal to control the frequency, like a cry baby wah. this is what i achieve to build. thanks

aran

Stomptown

aran.e666

thank you so much im probably going to make the cry baby. also what was wrong with the first schematic i showed, wouldn't it work like a regular wah? thanks

aran

aran.e666

i also forgot to ask, the inductor on the cry baby, does it have to be a fasel since i live in the uk and the only one i can find is a 500mh axial inductor. thanks

aran

Stomptown

Quote from: aran.e666 on November 27, 2014, 04:55:14 PM
thank you so much im probably going to make the cry baby. also what was wrong with the first schematic i showed, wouldn't it work like a regular wah? thanks

aran

I don't know anything about it but it did not appear to have an inductor which is the heart and soul of the classic wah circuit.

aran.e666

thanks stomptown, do you think a 500mh axial inductor could work?

aran

Stomptown

I don't see why not , but I don't know much about choosing an inductor for wah's to be honest.  I would think the biggest issue would be whether or not it will work with the layout.  Maybe someone else can chime in?

aran.e666

well thank you for all the great replies, unfortunately i don't have the inductor and some parts yet but on the bright side, i found almost all the resistors needed. thanks

aran

GermanCdn

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

aran.e666

I also forgot to add, the two blue circles on the crybaby schematic, what are they? Thanks

Aran