News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mudbunny Mid Control Question

Started by FredGarvin, May 16, 2011, 06:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredGarvin

I just finished a mudbunny build but I can't seem to hear a difference in the mid control? I've subbed a 20kb pot for a 25kb. I was wondering if a 50kb would made the mid range boost more noticable? ???

sprayfe

I've made a few with a mid pot- and it seems very subtle, and also slightly dependent on where the gain and tone control are.  I like the option, but it is IMHO extremely subtle.

FredGarvin

I was looking at the tone stack calculator.

http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

I think I'll change some cap and resistor values and see what I come up with.

Otherwise, the pedal works fine, I used bc549c trannies, tremendous amount of gain, I used the violet ram's head variation. It's definitely going onto the pedal board.

I also borrowed a signal generator from my brother in-law, I'm going to put it on a scope.

cjkbug

Quote from: FredGarvin on May 16, 2011, 11:56:34 PM
I was looking at the tone stack calculator.

http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

I think I'll change some cap and resistor values and see what I come up with.

Otherwise, the pedal works fine, I used bc549c trannies, tremendous amount of gain, I used the violet ram's head variation. It's definitely going onto the pedal board.

I also borrowed a signal generator from my brother in-law, I'm going to put it on a scope.

I made some changes to resistor values and got some great results. I got a huge sweep from scooped to flat. I'll check my values and report back.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

FredGarvin

Thanks cjkbug. I'm very interested to know what values you used.  :)

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: FredGarvin on May 17, 2011, 07:53:15 PM
Thanks cjkbug. I'm very interested to know what values you used.  :)
I'm interested too. No way my Mudbunny build can be without a presence/mids knob!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

cjkbug

i used a b20k pot and subbed in a 12k resistor at r 18. much more sweep.

FredGarvin

Ok, after some experimenting with the Tone Stack calculator I finally came up with something I wanted. I replaced four parts in total, R18 to 1k5, R19 to 47k, C10 to 22nf, and C11 to 5.6nf. Now the sweep is dramatic, from a scoop all the way to a huge mid boost. When you crank the tone and mid up all the way up it enters a tonebender sound after you turn the sustain down. Very dramatic change. I like it.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Cool! Thanks for posting your results. I've been posting my findings on this thread.  ;D http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1922.0

I followed Jack Orman's mod suggestions and mine are very similar to yours. I used 3.3K for R18 and changed C10 to 22nf. I didnt experiment with the other side of the tone section but I'll try those values next time I build one!
I get a huge dramatic change too now. With the knob down it almost cuts the signal and up its a nice big mids boost. I found that the mids knob only works well from the middle of the tone knob to the treble side. Did changing those other values help it affect the bass side of the tone knob sweep?
I too like it  :)

cjkbug

Quote from: FredGarvin on June 05, 2011, 07:34:52 PM
Ok, after some experimenting with the Tone Stack calculator I finally came up with something I wanted. I replaced four parts in total, R18 to 1k5, R19 to 47k, C10 to 22nf, and C11 to 5.6nf. Now the sweep is dramatic, from a scoop all the way to a huge mid boost. When you crank the tone and mid up all the way up it enters a tonebender sound after you turn the sustain down. Very dramatic change. I like it.
muff to tone bender? I think I like the sound of that. I'm tying these mods out on my next gruntbox build

FredGarvin

When the mid control is down at the minimum value I have a mid scoop that lowers the output a bit. When I turn the mid control up, I find that most of the sweep is in the first quarter of the pot, after that the mid boost overpowers the bottom end. I'll have to post some sound bites in order to point out how drastic it is.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: FredGarvin on June 05, 2011, 11:16:03 PM
When the mid control is down at the minimum value I have a mid scoop that lowers the output a bit. When I turn the mid control up, I find that most of the sweep is in the first quarter of the pot, after that the mid boost overpowers the bottom end. I'll have to post some sound bites in order to point out how drastic it is.
that sounds exactly like what mine does!! i'll have to try what you said to get that tonebender sound.

FredGarvin

I was over at a friends place the other night and he wanted to see the differences between my Tiny Terror and his Blackstar HT-5RH through a 4x12. Actually I found them to sound quite similar if you play with the tone knobs, but, that's something else. I had also brought over the mudbunny I have currently modded, we played around with it for an hour or so and were able to mimic some Led Zep, Beatles, ZZtop, old Black Sabbath tones, it goes on an on. I was actually quite surprised. Out of all the projects I completed and brought over for him to demo, he liked this current mudbunny project the best. It was a great compliment as he is a 30 year plus and going active gigging artist.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Thats sound awesome! What version did you build your mudbunny too?

FredGarvin

Violet ram's head variation. I didn't use the same diodes as specified though, I used a bunch of silicon diodes that biased around 500 or so, I don't know what the hell they are, they look like rectifier diodes marked as A-23 233 002 in green (military grade?). Anyway, it sounds good with them anyway. here's some gut shots, she's still a work in progress but I like it the best out of all my Big Muffs.

http://users.eastlink.ca/~aszwec/pics/muff1.jpg
http://users.eastlink.ca/~aszwec/pics/muff2.jpg
http://users.eastlink.ca/~aszwec/pics/muff3.jpg