News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hfe testing

Started by night-B, May 16, 2011, 07:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

night-B

I just baught a 100pc pack of germanium ac128 and want to test their hfe.
My cheap Dmm usually oscillates between 60 and 160 for the same tranny in hfe mode.
Any advice on a trustworthy Dmm? Or maybe another method to test the hfe?
Thanks

slimtriggers

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/fuzzface/fffram.htm

There's a schematic for building a rig to test leakage and gain if you scroll down the page a bit.

night-B

FredGarvin

Or, you could get the following, if you have the money. I've got one and it's stellar. Great for doing huge batches of transistors.

http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_dca55.html

k.rock!

God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jimmybjj

Quote from: k.rock! on May 16, 2011, 07:42:15 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Triplett-1101-B-Compact-Backlit-Display/dp/B003YHCFTU/ref=pd_ybh_8?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1G0SS6KVNW36W62TVXC5

Or this...it's a DMM with transistor testing capabilities for 30 bucks :) I'm thinking of getting one myself

-Kaleb

" you can just gain select them in a DMM that has a transistor checking range. However, all modern DMM's assume that the transistor being testing has no leakage at all. They just put a metered amount of base current in and look for how much collector current comes out. With germanium's inherently higher leakage, this just makes a leaky device look like a higher gain device."

I would check out the first link in this thread if you want to measure germaniums.
Pcbs no longer available

Fastocker

Those cheaper DVMs won't normally work with germanium transistors --- I know, I have one.  The upside is you can use them to test LEDs, though.

I also have the Peak Atlast DCA55 and it not only measures hfe and leakage quickly but also IDs the emitter, collector and base no matter how you connect the leads.  If you're going to do a lot of work with transistors it's well worth it.
Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: Fastocker on May 16, 2011, 08:08:58 PM
Those cheaper DVMs won't normally work with germanium transistors --- I know, I have one.  The upside is you can use them to test LEDs, though.

I also have the Peak Atlast DCA55 and it not only measures hfe and leakage quickly but also IDs the emitter, collector and base no matter how you connect the leads.  If you're going to do a lot of work with transistors it's well worth it.

OOhh on the wishlist!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

night-B

+1 I'll buy one soon. I've got a hundred of germs to check so it's worth the price  :)
Thanks for the link!

FredGarvin

The DCA55 shows leakage and gain with germanium devices.

I've several DMM's and the transistor checking is mediocre, sure, geofex's guide to testing leakage work's but tedious if you have a lot to go through.

The DCA55 is the cat's a**!

gtr2

Now instead of gassing for pedals, I gas for stuff for pedal building.  Oh it's a cruel tailspin I'm in.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

night-B

That's right Josh!
+ I'm hunting a stock of ac127 'cause the selling price for one piece makes me sweat.
If I find a good deal I'll test and label them... Then I'll be able to sell matched and tested germs for cheaper than usual, if you guys need some  ;)
My wife is mad each time I receive a package 'cause I own a massive collection of diodes trannies and tubes  ::)

jimmybjj

Quote from: night-B on May 16, 2011, 07:22:34 AM
I just baught a 100pc pack of germanium ac128 and want to test their hfe.
My cheap Dmm usually oscillates between 60 and 160 for the same tranny in hfe mode.
Any advice on a trustworthy Dmm? Or maybe another method to test the hfe?
Thanks

If you don't mind where did you buy 100 ac128's? If you do I understand.
Pcbs no longer available

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: night-B on May 17, 2011, 11:00:59 AM
That's right Josh!
+ I'm hunting a stock of ac127 'cause the selling price for one piece makes me sweat.
If I find a good deal I'll test and label them... Then I'll be able to sell matched and tested germs for cheaper than usual, if you guys need some  ;)
My wife is mad each time I receive a package 'cause I own a massive collection of diodes trannies and tubes  ::)

I'd like to buy some of these if you end up doing this!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

night-B

A small electronic retailer has closed his shop due to bankrupt. He sold his components for cheap. Unfortunately I didn't owned as much money as I wanted at that moment but I took some mini tube, preamp tubes (5 of each I'll keep for myself), a lot of modern transistors such as BS170, J201... a lot of 2n2222a, a pack of 100 germanium ac128 and his last pack of 10 ac127.
I got the ac128 for approx 0.75$ each and 1.7$ for the ac127.
He told me he has found these old stuff in mass quantity from a german seller on ebay some years ago.
Maybe there's still some good bids on ebay to do.
I think I'll buy the transistor testor from peak next month, and then I'll sell some of the stuff.