News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Opinions from future Collosalus builders

Started by madbean, November 06, 2014, 02:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I've managed to put the Collosalus into a 125B layout. I'm thinking of making this the next run of boards. But, there is one compromise: the charge pump section has been eliminated. So, you will need to either power it from 18v or use a Road Rage or similar charge pump to power it (it does have the 15v regulator on the PCB). Additionally, a smaller board means I can reduce the price a little, too.

Any opinions to be offered?

jimilee

Great idea, i like the size. I bought a board but haven't built it yet because of the size.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

I wouldn't build it because of the 125B size (pain to get in the UK, plus it's not my favourite to build in... for some reason) also when it's something that's supposed to be run on 15V, makes more sense to have a charge pump already on board to me as that's probably the route most people will go and while a 125B sized board may cost less, if you have to buy a charge pump PCB anyway.

Saying that, I could just trade with jimilee now for his big board he doesn't want ;D
Works at Lectric-FX

brucer

Oh MAN, I got beat by Scruffie!

Jimilee, I want you to know that I'll buy that Collosalus and pay postage if you can't see your way to building it!  Just send me a PM!

Brian, I'll build it eventually regardless of format, old or new.  The idea of fitting it in a 125B is appealing, but I think you should just bundle a 125B board with the 3PRR in that scenario since most would likely build it that way.  Re: costs, your boards are an awesome deal and your incredible efforts are really appreciated, don't sell yourself short.

Shrtyska9

I like it. Are you going to tack this onto the Eddie in a box layout?;)

Richard

Richard

irmcdermott

How in the world..... tell me, what year did you graduate from Hogwarts?

lincolnic

Quote from: Scruffie on November 06, 2014, 02:37:56 AM
I wouldn't build it because of the 125B size (pain to get in the UK, plus it's not my favourite to build in... for some reason) also when it's something that's supposed to be run on 15V, makes more sense to have a charge pump already on board to me as that's probably the route most people will go and while a 125B sized board may cost less, if you have to buy a charge pump PCB anyway.

Scruffie said everything I was thinking.

96ecss

Whatever layout you choose, I'm planning on buying one.

Dave

pk1802

I already built a Collosalus, but I would totally build a smaller one.

GermanCdn

Seems like an Eddie in a Box candidate to me, that plus the Nom Nom (or Dave's 1590A Phase 90).

'Scuse me while I drop D on my Wolfie.....
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

aballen

dadler

I would prefer the charge pump on-board. I don't like having to mount a separate PCB, and if I use your bypass board with onboard RR, I cannot as easily use a relay/SPST bypass board. I'd probably end up with two additional PCBs, the RR and relay bypass, and might have to stuff it in a 1590BB/125BB anyways.

96ecss

I would prefer the charge pump on board as well. But as I said before, I'm planning to buy one either way.

Dave

culturejam

I've got multiple 18v bricks and my pedalboard supply has a couple 18v taps.

So I would vote for the smaller board. Smaller pedal, less parts, one less sub-circuit to troubleshoot or have cause noise.

Brian, if you don't release it for MBP, I'd love to order some for myself and whoever else might want one.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

flanagan0718

I for one like the 125B. I haven't built on of these yet...I'd give it a go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk