News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Frostbite

Started by GrindCustoms, October 31, 2014, 10:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Yo! I came back from my work trip yesterday, since i had a bit of spare time in the morning before departure, i took a truck and went up the road on top of a hill to snap some pictures of the sunrise at 9:30AM local time, so 10:30AM ET.

So this is what it looks like when you're at 50km from the Arctic circle! ;)

At the far left, that's the mine/mill complex, the big dome is to accumalate mineral concentrate so there's a continuous feed to the mill. The white cover all at the bottom of pic is the water treatement place, where the waste water return from the mill is recycled... i was working at 1km from that cover all in new facilities we had to setup with some huge pump systems.

....and the never ending tundra... ...love that place to be honest there's a death like calm surrounding you, digging that.

Those two last pics where taken in completely opposite direction...  :o

Thought it could interest some of you guys.

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

GermanCdn

So you're not in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from the top of the hill ;).

Just signed up for a two year stint in Ft. Mac myself, but it's only two weeks on site out of every six, and two weeks off out of every six, so it should work out all right.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: GermanCdn on October 31, 2014, 10:13:12 PM
So you're not in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from the top of the hill ;).

Just signed up for a two year stint in Ft. Mac myself, but it's only two weeks on site out of every six, and two weeks off out of every six, so it should work out all right.

Hahaha! exactly! Funny thing is that the mine plant is close to Baker Lake, Nunavut wich is the geographical center point of Canada... ::) Let say that we have some huge part of territory that is unused.

Where is located Fort Mac and what do they exploit over there? Looks like a good schedule to me :)

Next thursday i'm leaving for another 6 days near Salluit, Quebec, at quite.... the complete top north of Quebec, should be fun, all the job is inside this time though.

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

GermanCdn

Quote from: GrindCustoms on October 31, 2014, 10:17:48 PM
Quote from: GermanCdn on October 31, 2014, 10:13:12 PM

Hahaha! exactly! Funny thing is that the mine plant is close to Baker Lake, Nunavut wich is the geographical center point of Canada... ::) Let say that we have some huge part of territory that is unused.

Where is located Fort Mac and what do they exploit over there? Looks like a good schedule to me :)

Next thursday i'm leaving for another 6 days near Salluit, Quebec, at quite.... the complete top north of Quebec, should be fun, all the job is inside this time though.

Ft Mc(Murray) is oilsands and is 5 hours north of Edmonton, and I'm currently PM'ing $90M worth of equipment going to construction starting in March 2015 and ending in September 2016.  We're going to be using a platoon approach to construction management, so me and one of the other guys here alternate weeks on site (8X12 and 7X12 shifts with a day overlap, then a week off, then we reverse order for two weeks, then another week off).  Everyone on the tools works 14/7s, but we can't find CMs who want to do the job full time, and hiring a contractor who's going to cost you half a mill and walk away at the end of the job isn't really a suitable option either.

I've probably got a project going to construction in QC/NFLD mid 2016 which I'll have to do the same for, and one not too far from Jacob as well, but that one's still going through approvals.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

GrindCustoms

You should contact my employer, we're specialized in building/setting up Mills, no matter what type they are. They've actually put together most of the Agnico-Eagle mills in the last 20 years.

My hour wage is not that bad ;)

midwayfair

Man, I got worried seeing the title.

Nice pictures.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: midwayfair on October 31, 2014, 10:55:14 PM
Man, I got worried seeing the title.

Nice pictures.

Hehe, i thought it would grab some attention ;)

It's still not too bad right now, average of -25C but with non-stop average 60kmh wind sand blasting your face with snow.

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

Shrtyska9

Looks like the setting of The Thing. If you find anything weird frozen in the ice get the hell out of there! lol!
Richard

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Shrtyska9 on October 31, 2014, 11:58:07 PM
Looks like the setting of The Thing. If you find anything weird frozen in the ice get the hell out of there! lol!

Hopefully i would also find some Predators temple and guns and... Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew! ;D

icecycle66

icecycle66

Let me know ifyou guys find any Eldrich horrors in the mine that may reach down through the core of the Earth or out into the depths of man's soul.

ggarms

This is super cool. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful and haunting!

alanp

All Hail Megatron!

More seriously, that is desolate beauty.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Coming out of teachers college my wife and i were interview for teaching jobs in the NWT... thankfully  we didn't get them, terrifying bleakness, the ice planet in Star Wars.

Glad you're enjoying it Rej!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?