News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mounted pots in a single sided board

Started by aballen, October 28, 2014, 10:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

I just finished populating my upper decker and I realized I only have mounted pots for it. 

This has me wondering if it is safe to solder to the solder side of the board.  I'm confident with the through hole parts, but I'm thinking I may just rip a trace clean off mounting the pots or even the wires on the underside.

I have always used the solder lug style with self etched pcbs in the past.  I've just been spoiled by Beans fine boards for a while now and it never even crossed my mind when ordering for this build. 

Any suggestions?

davent

Tiny Keystone eyelets for diy plated through holes. Part #534-23 i believe at Mouser.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=17537.msg167855#msg167855

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

miter53

"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/

drolo

I just had a similar situation yesterday when I decided to rebuild an old crappy FuzzFactory on Perfboard. I have no solder lug pots any more ...
What I ended up doing is bending the protruding pins of the pots as flush as I could on the perf board so that the board is clamped between the bent pins and the larger part of the pot leg. I bent the 2 outside pins to one side and the middle pin to the opposing side. ( gosh ... this is one of those situations where a picture would have been worth a million words ....).
It worked out great and I think it will hold well.

aballen

I soldered my pots in, they seem to be fine.  I know what's in the box though.  I feel like it could break at any time.... Crazy I think.  I'll pick up some of those eyelets though that's exactly what I need. 

I will say there is one benefit to soldering right to the board.  I had to remove. A pot to troubleshoot my build an I've never had an easier time removing a pot.

Thanks for pointing me to those eyelets, I'm getting a bunch.