News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Brainstorm: switchable series/parallel dual delay

Started by brand0nized, October 25, 2014, 04:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brand0nized

Need some insight on this. Thinking about building a dual delay with the option to switch back and forth from series and parallel with the mixer/splitter from TH Custom.

If I switch one of the delays back and forth from its send/return of the parallel mixer to the output of the mixer to make it series, will there be a tone or volume change?

diablochris6

This is just an idea in my head, but you might be able to use a 4PDT switch to achieve this. I am going to assume that you will have footswitches for both of the delays. Maybe something like this would work?

4PDT

1  4  7  10
2  5  8  11
3  6  9  12
pin 1: Delay 1 input & Send 1
pin 2: Signal Input
pin 3: Mixer Input
pin 4: Delay 2 Input & Send 2
pin 5: Delay 1 Output
pin 6: Return 1
pin 7: Delay 2 Output & Return 2
pin 8: Signal Output
pin 9: Mixer Output
pin 10: empty
pin 11: Mixer Ground
pin 12: Ground

The top and middle rows would have the delays in series, and the mixer board would be turned off. The middle and bottom rows would have the delays parallel through the now active mixer board.
There isn't any space on the switch for an LED indicator, so maybe use a toggle or rotary switch? Once again, this is just me thinking out loud; maybe someone else can chime in on whether my idea is crazy.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

brand0nized

Quote from: diablochris6 on October 28, 2014, 05:20:02 AM
The top and middle rows would have the delays in series, and the mixer board would be turned off. The middle and bottom rows would have the delays parallel through the now active mixer board.

I hadn't thought of turning off the mixer. What is the significance of turning if the mixer even if the mixer output is disconnected from the output jack in series mode?

diablochris6

The only thing I could think of is if the mixer is always on, there might be some impedance issues where you have two active circuits going to the same place (ex. pin 1 would have guitar signal AND an active circuit from the Send 1 of the mixer going to Delay#1). Even though there is no sound coming from the mixer, would it still cause a volume drop? Two active circuits with a single destination is the reason we need active mixers in the first place. I am just playing it safe.

I did have an idea where the signal is always going through the mixer first and then the parallel/series switching (it could only need a DPDT), but then you wouldn't have the same volume levels switching between the settings due to the blend knob. If you are interested in that idea, I can write it out later.

brand0nized

Quote from: diablochris6 on October 28, 2014, 05:52:31 PM
The only thing I could think of is if the mixer is always on, there might be some impedance issues where you have two active circuits going to the same place (ex. pin 1 would have guitar signal AND an active circuit from the Send 1 of the mixer going to Delay#1). Even though there is no sound coming from the mixer, would it still cause a volume drop? Two active circuits with a single destination is the reason we need active mixers in the first place. I am just playing it safe.

I did have an idea where the signal is always going through the mixer first and then the parallel/series switching (it could only need a DPDT), but then you wouldn't have the same volume levels switching between the settings due to the blend knob. If you are interested in that idea, I can write it out later.

I'm thinking of setting the blend at a permanent 50/50 with resistors, would that remove volume differences?

Also, since both delays have their own dry signal mixed it, and both are coming out of one output out of the pedal, will there be phase issues with the dry signal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diablochris6

If you are "hard-wiring" the blend pot to be 50/50, I wouldn't see a problem with volume issues.

If you are interested in always running the sound through the mixer, this set up might be more to your liking; all you would need is a DPDT for the signal, and a 3PDT could be used if you want to add an indicator LED. The stomp would be wired like so:

pin 1: Return 1
pin 2: Delay #1 output
pin 3: Delay #2 input
pin 4: Delay #2 input
pin 5: Send 2
pin 6: empty

Your input jack could go right to the input pad of the mixer, and the output pad could go right to the output jack this way. Send 1 of the mixer would go right to the input of Delay #1, and the output of Delay #2 would go to return 2 of the mixer. This wouldn't be true bypass, so if you want that too, you would have to add yet another stompswitch.

As far as I can tell, this should work, but I haven't tried it myself.

As for the phase issues of the delays, I guess it would depend on what delays you are actually using...

Good luck!