News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about wire

Started by HailToTheBlues, October 25, 2014, 10:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi guys,
I made a couple modifications on my guitar, and between them, i cutted a little too much of the two wires that go to the output jack, so i wanted to know if it is wise to solder a kind of "extension" with some wire, or is this going to have an impact on my guitar's tone? Note that i would be soldering a electronics wire, those normal isolated ones, to a push back wire, those they call vintage wire that are used on guitars. So, would this be a solution, or would i be better desoldering the push-back wire and soldering the "pedals" wire?

Best Regards

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on October 25, 2014, 10:01:50 AM
Hi guys,
I made a couple modifications on my guitar, and between them, i cutted a little too much of the two wires that go to the output jack, so i wanted to know if it is wise to solder a kind of "extension" with some wire, or is this going to have an impact on my guitar's tone? Note that i would be soldering a electronics wire, those normal isolated ones, to a push back wire, those they call vintage wire that are used on guitars. So, would this be a solution, or would i be better of desoldering the push-back wire and soldering the "pedals" wire alone?

Best Regards

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

HailToTheBlues

Ok then, thanks for the answer!

PS: I just noticed that instead of modifying my post, i quoted it.....my bad

lars

According to the hype, unless you solder in wire that is oxygen-free copper, mined in 1943 by aliens, with superflux density hyperbolic abrasion flammer core....your tone will be so bad that you might as well give up on everything. Price? Only $89.00 and inch. But it has really cool jacket material.

mremic01

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on October 25, 2014, 10:01:50 AM
Hi guys,
I made a couple modifications on my guitar, and between them, i cutted a little too much of the two wires that go to the output jack, so i wanted to know if it is wise to solder a kind of "extension" with some wire, or is this going to have an impact on my guitar's tone? Note that i would be soldering a electronics wire, those normal isolated ones, to a push back wire, those they call vintage wire that are used on guitars. So, would this be a solution, or would i be better desoldering the push-back wire and soldering the "pedals" wire?

Best Regards

What you did is called splicing, and it's totally ok. There are different ways to do it, but as long as it's a solid connection and you've insulated anything that's exposed and could short out on something else, you're good. Personally, I would prefer to replace the entire wire run with a single piece, but that's for neatness's sake.

You can splice different kinds of wire. That vintage push back stuff isn't going to do anything special to your tone. I usually replace all the cheap wire in my instruments with either the braided shieded stuff, or the cloth covered wire, but only when I'm in the control cavity to do something else. A lot of guitars, even expensive ones, have some pretty questionable solder joints. Sometimes it's worth redoing everything just to clean up any shoddy factory work.