News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First Daddy/Daughter project... Recommendations?

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, October 24, 2014, 03:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

So... today I am embarking on my first Daddy/Daughter project.  ;D

My 9yo wants to help daddy build a pedal. I am pretty sure she will be mostly involved with the artwork however, I was wondering what a good circuit would be to build. I want something with as much bang for the buck so-to-speak. I am thinking about a simple ring mod or fuzz/OD. Something that will be easy to operate BUT... will color the sound quite a bit.

Recommendations??  8)

BTW... I am sure she will want to hand paint the box. Seeing as we will most likely be using kids paint (nothing too fancy)... Should I lay down a few coats of primer to give her a clean surface to work from -OR- will just a good sanding do the trick?

Jopn

Not a pedal, but you should totally build an atari punk console.  Or if you're adventurous, tag a simple sequencer on the front of it.

Willybomb

I did a pedal workshop for some of my guitar students using Sprouts etched by Haberdasher.  I had the same criteria as you - easy to build, drastically different between bypassed and effected.  In the end only one needed to be seriously troubleshot.

But... we didn't do any finishing as it was just a 1 day workshop.

flanagan0718

I would say something pretty like a chorus or a phaser!
I can't WAIT to do this with my daughter. she's only 6 months old now but i have all sorts of idea's running through my head! Have fun!

davent

I'd say treat it like your own, Daddy should prime it, hope the weather window's still open for you, then daughter can do the art with kid friendly art supplies, acrylic and gouache paints, stickers, markers, inks and pens etc,. then dad gets to clearcoat or maybe bettter still, Envirotex to keep it all safe and secure.

The hardest part with the kids stuff (for me anyone) was being hands off... stepping back and letting them run free with how they want it to be...

Have fun!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Govmnt_Lacky

Well.. Daddy will be doing all of the soldering for sure. Mostly, she will be involved with artwork and boxing up the circuit.

No BBD based circuits please...  :o

Droogie

How about a Nyquist Aliaser? Pretty simple build yields ring modish sounds.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

flanagan0718

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 24, 2014, 04:08:31 PM
Well.. Daddy will be doing all of the soldering for sure. Mostly, she will be involved with artwork and boxing up the circuit.

No BBD based circuits please...  :o

I've got it... The Little Angel Chorus!

miter53

My daughter was a little older (15), but we built a Fuzz Face on a Mangler board. Simple and pretty dramatic.
"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/

davent

I know you like lots of knobs on a project and since you're soldering anyways... a WSG or Alien Screamer from MFOS. No need for a guitar or other sound source, they're the noise makers, ,  your wife will be very pleased!

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/index.php?MAINTAB=SYNTHDIY&VPW=1270&VPH=583

Pink ribboned WSG maestro.

Even better if you play both videos at the same time.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Bret608

This stuff is always so much fun! My daughters like picking out the colors on my pedal builds. They've given me hand-drawn artwork, but I wasn't able to get it into Illustrator to get it into an enclosure-sized graphic. Probably a Photoshop job...

As far as what to build, my daughters always say they want pretty-sounding things like chorus or phase, but the Tone Machine I built is the main one I remember them actually going, "wow, that sounds awesome!"