News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Recommendations

Started by flanagan0718, October 24, 2014, 01:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Hey Guys,
    After reading Brian's post (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=18015.0;topicseen) I was wondering what you would recommend for a de-soldering gun/station? I currently use a manual pump (like the picture below). It's one of the nicer ones but still very cumbersome to use. I was just poking around on EBay and Amazon and realize I have NO idea what I am looking at/for. Inexpensive is nice but I do realize that better tools = better performance (<- that's the former mechanic speaking). I do have a Weller Iron now (like the one below) so if I just need a gun then awesome but either way, I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance guys!

flanagan0718

No one wants to play with me... :'( :'( :'( :'(

wgc

can't beat the hakko desoldering station, but not cheap.  The trick is to make sure you tin the tip and add a little solder to melt the solder joint and then seal to remove. And make sure you clean it regularly to get the best life from the tip.

FWIW I use solderwick.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

I've become a big fan of the OKI/Metcal stuff.  It's pricey, but doesn't seem to hold its resale value as well on eBay so there are deals to be had.

It's RF based instead of the typical ceramic element irons. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

flanagan0718

The Hakko stuff seems pretty good. Same with the OKI. I'll have to do some homework and research them. Thanks guys.

davent

If you can remain happy with a simple solder sucker, this one from Japan i can pretty much envelope in my hand, excellent build quality and will just about pop out of your hand upon detonation. Best deal to Canada was from Adafruit but if i recall Amazon had a good price if you're stateside.

http://www.adafruit.com/product/1597

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: davent on October 28, 2014, 03:25:38 AM
If can remain happy with a simple solder sucker, this one from Japan i can pretty much envelope it in my hand, excellent build quality and will just about pop out of your hand upon detonation. Best deal to Canada was from Adafruit but if i recall Amazon had a good price if you're stateside.

http://www.adafruit.com/product/1597

I have the same one and I love it. 100x better than a hard tip sucker in my opinion.

Cody

kothoma

This SS-02 looks interesting. I think I'll get one.

muddyfox

I may be the weirdo in the room here. Just got the japanese one and while it does kick like a mule, it's the exact problem I have with it. I seem to be able to more consistently suck up solder with the old plastic cheapo than with this one. It kicks right off the board even before it's had time to suck the solder.
No matter how I position it, I can't seem to hold it in place long enough to do it's work. And if I really put my butt into it, the tip gets so squished that no solder can pass through the silicone.
I'm sure it's just my lack of technique with it but there does seem to be a learning curve to it...

Muadzin

Quote from: wgc on October 27, 2014, 08:48:05 PM
can't beat the hakko desoldering station, but not cheap.  The trick is to make sure you tin the tip and add a little solder to melt the solder joint and then seal to remove. And make sure you clean it regularly to get the best life from the tip.

That!!!

I was taught that trick by a guy with decades of industrial soldering experience.

flanagan0718

Maybe I'll check out the SS-02 before I invest in a desoldering station. I do have a "soldapult" which seems to be one of the better ones. But $20 is better than $200 right now. Thanks for the Suggestions guys. I'l definitely do some more research on the stations. The SS-02 should buy me some time.

davent

Quote from: muddyfox on October 28, 2014, 07:25:27 AM

I may be the weirdo in the room here. Just got the japanese one and while it does kick like a mule, it's the exact problem I have with it. I seem to be able to more consistently suck up solder with the old plastic cheapo than with this one. It kicks right off the board even before it's had time to suck the solder.
No matter how I position it, I can't seem to hold it in place long enough to do it's work. And if I really put my butt into it, the tip gets so squished that no solder can pass through the silicone.

I'm sure it's just my lack of technique with it but there does seem to be a learning curve to it...

I tried it at first, clenching the barrel in my fist, like with the biggy i used previously, triggering with my thumb but this one's too small and the button was in my fist so hard to access. Now i hold it with the middle two finger's top pads and top thumb pad and trigger with the index finger. Collapse the fingers around the barrel to reset the plunger with the thumb then maneuver/shift it back up the digits.

I guess sometimes it jumps itself clear but overall sure glad i bought it.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

muddyfox

OK, I'm gonna give that a go. I do hold it like I used to do with thebig/regular one...

davent

Playing with it further, seems to worl well with the three lower fingers wrapped around the barrel with the trigger under the lowest section of the index finger, squeeze in the undex finger to fire and the thumbs free to plunge again.

Something else maybe... when i solder or pump it off, i hold them in my dominate hand the iron in my less capable hand, i'm thinking that i'm just better able to control the kickback/tip placement with that hand, so... maybe?

dave

dave

muddyfox

Yeah, worth a shot.
Thanks!