News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Well, there goes another $600

Started by madbean, October 24, 2014, 12:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrtyska9

Quote from: pickdropper on October 30, 2014, 03:59:42 AM
At least you have a good audio reference for that dying yak pedal you've been talking about designing.  ;-P

When is this dying yak pedal going to be released? Lol;);D
That's some killer equipment you've picked up.

Richard
Richard

madbean

I spoke too soon. The FR-300 is being returned. Unfortunately, I got a defective unit and it appears that the temperature sensor is toast. The nozzle doesn't heat any longer. So, I will get a replacement and hopefully that one will be okay!

alanp

:'( even a cheap FR300 on TradeMe is like $472

once my current moneypit is sorted, might look on ebay for a cheaper knockoff.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

rullywowr

Quote from: alanp on November 01, 2014, 12:28:02 AM
:'( even a cheap FR300 on TradeMe is like $472

once my current moneypit is sorted, might look on ebay for a cheaper knockoff.

Or a gently used station like the 472D can often be found for less than 300.  ;)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

gtr2

How do you like the auto sleep feature?

I have the previous version of the desoldering gun...it too has the dying yak tone...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

dadler

Quote from: madbean on October 31, 2014, 09:41:58 PM
I spoke too soon. The FR-300 is being returned. Unfortunately, I got a defective unit and it appears that the temperature sensor is toast. The nozzle doesn't heat any longer. So, I will get a replacement and hopefully that one will be okay!

Was your replacement functional? Would love to hear if you are still satisfied, or decided to go another direction.

There are lots of similar complaints about the FR300 in the Amazon reviews. I really want one of these, but the complaints of "broke after a few days" are numerous.

I have a FX888D and it is excellent quality. Makes me think there might be some counterfeits floating around? Or Hakko just had a bad run?

The next step up from the FX300 is in the $~$450 range and requires shop air. Too rich for my blood, and I don't want to have to be constrained desolder in the garage, where my air compressor is.

madbean

100% satisfied. The replacement has not caused any issues and I've desoldered hundreds of components with it at this point. The only small complaint is that the nozzle hole is too small to fit over a 16mm PCB pin. But, I have not looked to see if there are larger nozzles yet. So far I have been able to desolder those by going at them from the sides or using my old desolder gun.

stevie1556

Quote from: dadler on December 11, 2014, 05:07:00 AM

There are lots of similar complaints about the FR300 in the Amazon reviews. I really want one of these, but the complaints of "broke after a few days" are numerous.

I have a FX888D and it is excellent quality. Makes me think there might be some counterfeits floating around? Or Hakko just had a bad run?

I swear Amazon has much more fake stuff on it then eBay. I try and avoid that place if I can.

aballen

Sounds like some good stuff.  I've never felt bad about buying good equipment.  It really becomes apparent when you use quality equipment.

I'm still using my old WESD51 from Weller.  Given how much I actually use it it might be overkill.  I'm still pretty happy with it.  Need a few more tips though.

My desoldering iron came from radio shack.  It takes like 15 minutes to heat up, but it always works like a charm.  I don't desolder much so I can't see buying a better one.

dadler

Quote from: madbean on December 11, 2014, 12:33:41 PM
100% satisfied. The replacement has not caused any issues and I've desoldered hundreds of components with it at this point. The only small complaint is that the nozzle hole is too small to fit over a 16mm PCB pin. But, I have not looked to see if there are larger nozzles yet. So far I have been able to desolder those by going at them from the sides or using my old desolder gun.

Awesome-I am about to pull the trigger momentarily.

And I think they do have "larger" nozzles: just look under "customers also bought" here: http://www.tequipment.net/Hakko/FR-300/Desoldering-Equipment/?OrderItemId=1056733

Although if yours came with the 1mm standard one, it might not be larger. I am thinking of grabbing an extra and drilling it out.

dadler

pickdropper

I wonder why Tequipment has them on clearance already.  They just got these a short while ago and seemed really excited about them on the forums.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

dadler

Yeah, made me a bit concerned too. Others are selling the FR-300 for a similar price. MSRP is still $309. Oh well, if it works it works. I doubt it would be discontinued so early?

Anywhoo, I pulled the trigger on the FR-300 from tequipment and grabbed 1.3mm and 1.6mm nozzles, in addition to the included 1mm. Per my calipers, 16mm board mounted pots have 1mm wide pins, but they have some breadth so very well may not fit in the 1mm nozzle. Should have my bases covered with 1.3mm and 1.6mm.

gtr2

I use the 1.0mm for most things and the 1.6mm for switches and pots.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

dadler

Received the FR-300. Surprised how compact it is compared to the old version.

Tequipment has them for $239 and If you are an EEVBlog forum member, use code EEVBLOG6 for a 6% discount. The already offer free shipping >$100 and no tax unless you are in NJ/PA.