Aion Stratus diode configuration: diode lift position has a mega boost

Started by brand0nized, October 22, 2014, 06:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brand0nized

Just built my Aion Stratus. (BTW I'm so thankful for manufactured PCBs! This is the first circuit that works the first time I plugged it in!) everything is great, but I notice that the middle position on the diode selection switch (which is a diode lift) has a significant boost in volume, or the other two clipping options are super low in comparison.

I built it to Landgraff specs according to the build doc. I believe one clipping option is symmetrical with 1n914s and the other is LED clipping. I used 5mm diffused red LEDs because I couldn't find 3mm diffused ones, is that okay?

Is there any way to solve the volume difference?

midwayfair

jkokura

Quote from: brand0nized on October 22, 2014, 06:52:28 PM

By nature, there will be a volume difference. The idea behind clipping diodes is that they reduce volume and 'clip' or distort the signal. Remove them and you will remove the clipping, and the volume reduction.

So, short answer, not without involving a lot of other circuitry that will defeat the purpose of lifting your clipping.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

brand0nized

brand0nized

Quote from: jkokura on October 22, 2014, 07:57:58 PM
Quote from: brand0nized on October 22, 2014, 06:52:28 PM

By nature, there will be a volume difference. The idea behind clipping diodes is that they reduce volume and 'clip' or distort the signal. Remove them and you will remove the clipping, and the volume reduction.

So, short answer, not without involving a lot of other circuitry that will defeat the purpose of lifting your clipping.

Jacob

Can use a dpdt center off switch to switch in a resistor somewhere to lower the volume of the diode lift position?

jkokura

I think that by doing so what you're doing is inserting a resistor to ground if you're switching the diodes to ground after the second gain stage (I think, this is from memory) so no, I don't think that's an effective solution.

Honestly, I think you just need to learn to adjust the volume knob when you're running no diodes. However, in my opinion, switching from two different sets of diodes is usually just fine for tonal variations.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals