News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fulltone OCD, a fake?

Started by strat68, October 14, 2014, 02:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Quote from: pickdropper on October 16, 2014, 01:01:46 PM
And totally agree about guitars being played.  A lot of guitar collectors griped when Kirk Hammett bought the Peter Green/Gary Moore burst, but hell the guy gigs it.  Good for him.

Read an interview with Josh Homme from Kyuss that had a comment about him using old amps on the road -- his comment was something to the effect of "I've got a hammer in my toolbelt, let's go hammering."
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on October 16, 2014, 06:20:02 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on October 16, 2014, 01:01:46 PM
And totally agree about guitars being played.  A lot of guitar collectors griped when Kirk Hammett bought the Peter Green/Gary Moore burst, but hell the guy gigs it.  Good for him.

Read an interview with Josh Homme from Kyuss that had a comment about him using old amps on the road -- his comment was something to the effect of "I've got a hammer in my toolbelt, let's go hammering."

I'd be more inclined to gig an old amp than a burst.  If I owned a 500k guitar, I'd play it all the time.....at home.  It certainly wouldn't sit in a glass case just to be looked at, however.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jkokura

I think this is along the same idea that Joe Bonammassa tends to ascribe to. He has several 59-61 Les Pauls, and knows others who do, and regularly uses them live and in the studio. After all, if these are the 'best' instruments, hence their value, they should be used to make music.

It's like those expensive violins - if they're NOT being played they're depreciating, and sometimes quickly. I heard that there was one musician who made a 6 figure salary by lining up a rotation to go and play expensive instruments for a few hours a day once every two weeks.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on October 16, 2014, 07:35:03 PM
I think this is along the same idea that Joe Bonammassa tends to ascribe to. He has several 59-61 Les Pauls, and knows others who do, and regularly uses them live and in the studio. After all, if these are the 'best' instruments, hence their value, they should be used to make music.

It's like those expensive violins - if they're NOT being played they're depreciating, and sometimes quickly. I heard that there was one musician who made a 6 figure salary by lining up a rotation to go and play expensive instruments for a few hours a day once every two weeks.

Jacob

That's a good point.  While I would be nervous carrying around a million dollar violin, others play them routinely.

Of course, occasionally, this happens:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7242860.stm

Btw, Joe B. just purchased another fairly well known burst, affectionately known as "the claw" in burst circles.  Not sure how me he and the investor that went in with him paid.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

Putting them in glass cases is bad enough, but I've heard that it's popular in Japan to buy up priceless guitars and run bolts and mounting hardware in them so they can be displayed on walls, never to be played again. That's tough to choke down.